Should I add more filtration beside a skimmer?

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I own a Red Sea 250 (52 gallon) and my plan is to have a mixed reef with a medium bioload.
My tank is 2 month old, cycled and contains 2 clownfish, 2 corals (Briareum and leather coral) and a small CUC.
I cycled with Red Sea Reef Mature, so light (13 hours a day) and Skimmer are running since day one.

The water starts the get a bit cloudy and I asked myself if I need further filtration down the road or if my skimmer is enough (I know that the skimmer alone isn't going to get the water crystal clear). Also the red sea contains a bubble trap sponge filter already

So I started to read into filtration a bit more, but I'm not sure if and what kind of filtration I should add.
I think these are the options (correct me if Im wrong):

- Cheato (Build a refugium)
- Activated carbon filter (in a sock?)
- Filter socks
- "UV sterilizer"

I kind of know that especially the uv sterilizer is a different kind of "filtration", but I read its also good for that crystal clear water. And I already thought that sooner or later I want one, in case of an outbreak or to let it run occasionally. But beside that Im not sure on where to go next and if I even have to do it now.
Activated carbon would be cheaper than a UV and would get me at least also the clear water. Cheato is neat because it's natural, but I have to read more into refugium and buy more stuff (At least a lamp as far as I know)

Maybe you can help me out a little bit here.

Thanks and I wish you happy easter :)

Edit:
If needed my nutritions:
alkalinity: 9
ph: 8.2
nitrite: 0.2
nitrate: 15
ammonia: 0.2
phosphate: 0

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is exactly causing your cloudy water? It could be (and probably is) bacterial, in which case it will work itself out over time. To answer your question though, no, nothing else is required (including the skimmer actually). Your phosphates right now are bottomed out so I wouldn't recommend adding anything additional at this time though unless you just wanted to add a filter sock with carbon or UV. The refugium is just going to lower nutrients so I would avoid that. I personally run UV, carbon, skimmer, and socks on every reef tank I set up.

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

I own a Red Sea 250 (52 gallon) and my plan is to have a mixed reef with a medium bioload.
My tank is 2 month old, cycled and contains 2 clownfish, 2 corals (Briareum and leather coral) and a small CUC.
I cycled with Red Sea Reef Mature, so light (13 hours a day) and Skimmer are running since day one.

The water starts the get a bit cloudy and I asked myself if I need further filtration down the road or if my skimmer is enough (I know that the skimmer alone isn't going to get the water crystal clear). Also the red sea contains a bubble trap sponge filter already

So I started to read into filtration a bit more, but I'm not sure if and what kind of filtration I should add.
I think these are the options (correct me if Im wrong):

- Cheato (Build a refugium)
- Activated carbon filter (in a sock?)
- Filter socks
- "UV sterilizer"

I kind of know that especially the uv sterilizer is a different kind of "filtration", but I read its also good for that crystal clear water. And I already thought that sooner or later I want one, in case of an outbreak or to let it run occasionally. But beside that Im not sure on where to go next and if I even have to do it now.
Activated carbon would be cheaper than a UV and would get me at least also the clear water. Cheato is neat because it's natural, but I have to read more into refugium and buy more stuff (At least a lamp as far as I know)

Maybe you can help me out a little bit here.

Thanks and I wish you happy easter :)

Edit:
If needed my nutritions:
alkalinity: 9
ph: 8.2
I had the same questions when I started my tank a few years back, I think everyone does when they start a new tank. I ended up doing everything on your list over time.

Id start with the filter socks and the carbon. You can get a canister and pump kit off of BRS for like $90. Filter socks are nice but I’d look into a roller mat. I ended up upgrading to one because changing filter socks 3 times a week gets old and the wife was tired of me washing them in her laundry machine.

Id then recommend going with a UV for parasites and bacteria. Just adjust the flow depending on what you’re trying to kill.

I know a lot of people like fuges because they’re great at nutrient export. I started mine so I had a safe place for pods to keep my mandarin well fed. If your sump is already set up for one a lot of company’s make lights for them. Kessil imo is the best but I’ve also used the tunze which worked good for starting out.

hope this helps.

OP
OP
I

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is exactly causing your cloudy water? It could be (and probably is) bacterial, in which case it will work itself out over time. To answer your question though, no, nothing else is required (including the skimmer actually). Your phosphates right now are bottomed out so I wouldn't recommend adding anything additional at this time though unless you just wanted to add a filter sock with carbon or UV. The refugium is just going to lower nutrients so I would avoid that. I personally run UV, carbon, skimmer, and socks on every reef tank I set up.
I guess its bacterial. The only other reason I know is Sand, but thats only at the beginning. Thanks for your input!
I had the same questions when I started my tank a few years back, I think everyone does when they start a new tank. I ended up doing everything on your list over time.

Id start with the filter socks and the carbon. You can get a canister and pump kit off of BRS for like $90. Filter socks are nice but I’d look into a roller mat. I ended up upgrading to one because changing filter socks 3 times a week gets old and the wife was tired of me washing them in her laundry machine.

Id then recommend going with a UV for parasites and bacteria. Just adjust the flow depending on what you’re trying to kill.

I know a lot of people like fuges because they’re great at nutrient export. I started mine so I had a safe place for pods to keep my mandarin well fed. If your sump is already set up for one a lot of company’s make lights for them. Kessil imo is the best but I’ve also used the tunze which worked good for starting out.

hope this helps.
Thanks you too for your input. Sounds like a decent plan

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There might be some errors with the test results. However, your tank is not fully cycled if you still have Ammonia and Nitrite. I took me over 4 months to fully cycled my Redsea S400 with Dry Rocks and live sand (and Brightwell starter kit).Every tank is different but I would not do anything until you can confirm that your tank is fully cycled.

Last edited:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 83 61.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back