Should I be concerned? Harlequin Shrimp

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The starfish isn't moving and when the Harley left it alone, it just stayed there, no movement. The Harley dragged it once I put it back so i guess it's interested. Will update in an hour.
If you pull out the starfish again, turn it on it's back in a small container of tank water for a few minutes and see if any of the tube feet start moving... If they don't, it is probably dead.

OP
OP
R

RiftWalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Tower M, Executive Towers, Business Bay, Dubai
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pull out the starfish again, turn it on it's back in a small container of tank water for a few minutes and see if any of the tube feet start moving... If they don't, it is probably dead.
In the case that it is dead, would you recommend me remove it?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the case that it is dead, would you recommend me remove it?
Yes, I would. If the shrimp is still interested even though it's dead, then I'd remove it, chop off the remaining arms, and freeze them so you can give him one at a time to eat...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oK I've removed the CC star. Wow, my harlequin didn't want to let go. He was fighting with my tweezers lol, now kept in the holding again to see whether it moves. If not, I'll cut of a few legs and freeze.
Cut off all the remaining legs and leave one in with the harley if it is dead. Freeze the rest however if the Harley didn’t want to let go that probably suggests it was still hungry and wanting to “hunt”.

OP
OP
R

RiftWalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut off all the remaining legs and leave one in with the harley if it is dead. Freeze the rest however if the Harley didn’t want to let go that probably suggests it was still hungry and wanting to “hunt”.
Ok I left the star in the tank for some time. Eventually the Harley left so I took it out. Have the carcass in my holding tank. What should I cut it with

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I left the star in the tank for some time. Eventually the Harley left so I took it out. Have the carcass in my holding tank. What should I cut it with
I think you can cut it with a disinfected knife. I could be wrong though.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a novel idea! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything you want. I used a razor blade because it was convenient.

OP
OP
R

RiftWalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE

Welp, the star was alive so I threw it back in. My Harley has been using this star as fodder for 3 weeks now and it will probably last 3 or 4 more days. Honestly, quite the experience and I'm really happy with him (I think it's a him, didn't get a clear view under him but I didn't see any spots underneath). Thank you all for the insights and would like some name suggestions!

ysrbYvAx_1wcWUOAEP8i0ykWW4zn_a9moQKMnlPlgTaGtISmlRx64Wx7xW1CtufkRChbzsqDoHV-SjrK3H_0kaikBXLgnkut0ctgFtg5C9zF8j9JOqCLpueBrk8tL_KDofYal4LoMSlwmAyOtg

This is my tank. (Ignore the Candy Cane, I did move it)

Gvcpbz3CHeBKiwip4Ra0ZdERuGwXk4x2zUYNfC4CyLrw2v457rRTUJ3Gu3ub5YW51X9EmIXZVu2jPrRXXQmX9bUKuhaWErlH_BArreDbEYBULwsmv2kEc71FUgFYFSsScHxlp53O0H25ir4V0g
-i6L4RDWno8XACStPXJ7qDfmG41Coi-tlbKbGFK5cTRqZ6ueUD6vwCx-HK7-z3X6zTXWbVm2tRNdHoRhElOBA1u5LsTye88oCY-NbY1a2o7Al-GlQ0p8UowOP7FqAnP0yf6wrot9TBIcESkbPg
pNHyecADLR9R6-HtDesKfsX6S9hy0rWK2pWyUqdGMB2CCwmgU1j-DlQqyf-_o-M99wbgSyyYaqRcJvJliRcG9p26CKLnmUnFLSpBcZ0ZqGNYHa9X1KYMJKTSxfrIKptG1W8BgiEds6PcwNwvTw
JMf4VQo7kytFXQTS7Hzf_dPFbhuBu6hzbpxosFsCaPqYoGrKvYxHN8Ci6JSOQSaoTZOwGa8ponWz7ZsU4cVS81gKmoTH4LUhug-8a8D_ZoZwsKaATRh-b58w2yemktaOIyTjRV5O10EUU4yJhA

Back