Should I be nervous?

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reef tank and these fish were added on Friday.

He sits either right on the powerhead or swims in the vertical water column or down laying under the rock like the other clown is seen doing. They don't do this all day but for several hours a day.

They are eating well and go crazy at feeding time. Water parameters are all good.
k1CaGI5.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reef tank and these fish were added on Friday.

He sits either right on the powerhead or swims in the vertical water column or down laying under the rock like the other clown is seen doing. They don't do this all day but for several hours a day.

They are eating well and go crazy at feeding time. Water parameters are all good.
k1CaGI5.jpg
If they are not breathing heavy, eating well and all that good stuff you should be fine. I have had clowns host powerheads in the past. Even to the point of bringing food back and dropping it in it to "feed" it.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are not breathing heavy, eating well and all that good stuff you should be fine. I have had clowns host powerheads in the past. Even to the point of bringing food back and dropping it in it to "feed" it.
I'd love to see half pint (it's name) do that lol however, I'm just nervous it'll get sucked in. I've since lowered the speed of the pump

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to see half pint (it's name) do that lol however, I'm just nervous it'll get sucked in. I've since lowered the speed of the pump
Lowering the speed may not be needed, but it will not hurt as your tank does not look like it needs massive flow right now. They will adjust and do all sorts of weird things in that time. hey may get tired of the powerhead and host the overflow screen. No telling.

Biggest thing is that they eat, no stringy white poo, no spots or cores, etc. Now if they have any of the afore mentioned items, that is a different story.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lowering the speed may not be needed, but it will not hurt as your tank does not look like it needs massive flow right now. They will adjust and do all sorts of weird things in that time. hey may get tired of the powerhead and host the overflow screen. No telling.

Biggest thing is that they eat, no stringy white poo, no spots or cores, etc. Now if they have any of the afore mentioned items, that is a different story.
I'd feel more comfortable if he was far away from the powerhead. I've been observant of poop but have not seen any really yet. When is the best time to look? Right after feeding ? What exactly would white stringy poo look like

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine hang by a powerhead all everyday and night. They cruise around but that's their spot. Nothing to worry about. Clowns are odd!

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big female clown takes food to her much smaller husband. Very cool to see. Clowns are weird fish It likes the power head fro some reason

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is a small update... I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that they swim near the powerhead but my refractometer was not calculated and my salinity was way low for sure!

I corrected it during my water change tonight! Fed them afterwards and they both ate like CHAMPS. Was like hot dog eaters at a hotdog contest haha

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back