Should I be worried about the Anemone?

rainbow_yoshi

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2025
Messages
63
Reaction score
50
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I got him he was nestled behind rocks in the back of my tank, which has been maybe a week and a half. I woke up today and he’s moved, and I’m worried because his foot ISNT attached to anything now. It’s almost like he’s leaning on the rock. It’s hard to see in the first picture but his foot is not attached to the wall. The second picture is just another angle.

IMG_1488.jpeg IMG_1489.jpeg
 
It doesn't look bad, but the foot indeed needs to start to stick to something. If it is not floating around it should not take that long. I would say it needs to find a place in 4 hours or so.

IF it is not happy and is trying to move.. you could move it by hand to another position. Maybe he is willing to try that and will attach it's foot again.
 
It doesn't look bad, but the foot indeed needs to start to stick to something. If it is not floating around it should not take that long. I would say it needs to find a place in 4 hours or so.

IF it is not happy and is trying to move.. you could move it by hand to another position. Maybe he is willing to try that and will attach it's foot again.
Thank you.
 
Since I got him he was nestled behind rocks in the back of my tank, which has been maybe a week and a half. I woke up today and he’s moved, and I’m worried because his foot ISNT attached to anything now. It’s almost like he’s leaning on the rock. It’s hard to see in the first picture but his foot is not attached to the wall. The second picture is just another angle

Try not to panic because the Anemone isn't behaving as you expect.

Anemones will move around a tank until they find a suitable spot. That its foot isn't attached to anything isn't a concern; you probably caught it at a time between point A and point B. And there is no time limit as to how long it will take to anchor in a new spot. This isn't to say you should let it float around the tank for weeks. Just be patient.

The Anemone looks healthy too. Let it be for a while.
 
Agree with others here. First, don’t panic. Especially when they are first in a tank they will move and move AND move until they find their spot. One of mine was in back where I could barely see him for a month and then finally came out and settled in the front bottom. Another started on the bottom of the tank and after two months moved up to the top. I have some that move all the time and some that never move once you put them in. My word of caution is to cover your powerheads or pump intake because if they are moving in the glass they could attach there and that might be disastrous.
 
I say this often, anemones are the cats of reefing.... They rarely do what you expect.

I wouldn't be too worried rightg now either.

When I first got my nem it was placed where I wanted it, and it attached. Yay. Win. Nope. Moved underneath the rock, split, then one half died and the other half attached itself to the top of my overflow, and stayed there for months. Changed lights last week and it moved down to the rocks and split again.
 
Try not to panic because the Anemone isn't behaving as you expect.

Anemones will move around a tank until they find a suitable spot. That its foot isn't attached to anything isn't a concern; you probably caught it at a time between point A and point B. And there is no time limit as to how long it will take to anchor in a new spot. This isn't to say you should let it float around the tank for weeks. Just be patient.

The Anemone looks healthy too. Let it be for a while.
Thank you! You were right, he attached.
 
Thank you everyone. I think he found a new spot :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new