should i be worried?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh gotcha, do you happen to have kole tangs in ur tank or tanks? i just got this new one and doesnt seem to want to really eat anything
I have a purple tang.
Assuming you tried Nori and other foods, does your display have hiding spots? Fish need to feel safe, a place to hide helps.

Do your other fish eat out in the open?

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
havent tried nori yet. ive been trying a combo of frozen mysis/ algae i think w flakes. all other fish eat out in open and theres plenty of spots to hide. todays his first full day in the tank, but when it came to feeding time it almost looked like he was searching for the right thing to eat if that make sense

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
havent tried nori yet. ive been trying a combo of frozen mysis/ algae i think w flakes. all other fish eat out in open and theres plenty of spots to hide. todays his first full day in the tank, but when it came to feeding time it almost looked like he was searching for the right thing to eat if that make sense
Yup, makes sense.
Try some Nori on a clip near "his" spot. That should entice him to eat.

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i tried some nori today, broke it up into bits for feeding but he actually swam away from it so were back to square one. i was thinking garlic but other than that im out of ideass

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i tried some nori today, broke it up into bits for feeding but he actually swam away from it so were back to square one. i was thinking garlic but other than that im out of ideass
Hmmm, you didn't put it on a clip??
Tangs like to graze along the rock so a clip with Nori is kind of like they're feeding habits.
Did someone tell you to break it up and just throw it in the water?

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no nobody told me to do that but i thought a broadcast feed would work the same? am i wrong? idk

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i put some on one today w some garlic soaked, so fingers crossed he eats somee. hes a very skittish kole tang, he picks at the film on the walls but thats all ive seen him eat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was gone but i cant tell if it was from him, i saw my turbo snails pickin at it, and to make things worse hes getting ick :( im using yhat polyp lab medic rn hopefully itll help clear it up. tryina still find a sure fire food for this kole bc hes still not really eating from what i see

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was gone but i cant tell if it was from him, i saw my turbo snails pickin at it, and to make things worse hes getting ick :( im using yhat polyp lab medic rn hopefully itll help clear it up. tryina still find a sure fire food for this kole bc hes still not really eating from what i see
Do you have a hospital tank?

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i meann techincally yes, but its not operational.. he seems healthy-ish somehow but im not gonna jinx it. he eats alot of the film algae on the glass i didnt know if maybe thats why his appetite isnt there

adammarcos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't personally want to risk the health of a mushroom by having it next to GSP :D

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so update on the small tang thread. @Dburr1014 i finally got him to eat some nori, but funny enough it wasnt with clipping it or garlic, he ate it through my reg broadcast feed for the fish. which makes me wonder if that stuff really is worth using

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so update on the small tang thread. @Dburr1014 i finally got him to eat some nori, but funny enough it wasnt with clipping it or garlic, he ate it through my reg broadcast feed for the fish. which makes me wonder if that stuff really is worth using
Progress, you know 1 thing it likes so build on it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back