Should I be worried?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need to do more than have them in QT with copper?

i"m sorry. I'm getting my threads confused. You've obviously got them in QT and treatment already. I remember now saying that's all there is for them, and i'll stand by that. Watch carefully for infection.

OH and you were absolutely right. As the parasites fall off their body, the copper should shield them from reinfection by killing the free swimmers before they attach to the fish. Again, I'm sorry for my confusion- which has confused you. :(

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! The fact that your so active and helpful is great for less experienced people like myself.

Now I just need to trap the other two. They are so skittish I think I'll have to put the trap in unmanned for a while to let them get used to it. Could be a while. :-/

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries! The fact that your so active and helpful is great for less experienced people like myself.

Now I just need to trap the other two. They are so skittish I think I'll have to put the trap in unmanned for a while to let them get used to it. Could be a while. :-/

Keep us posted! :)

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, one more question. Since these are cysts, I image they take time to develop to the point where they burst and the copper has a chance to kill the water born parasite. As such, I would think I would see a increase in white spots as the cysts that existed prior to putting them in QT fully develop to the point where they burst, and then, ideally, see a decline. And since this treatment can last nearly 2 months, I'm assuming the increase in cysts will occur for a fair amount of time, no?

Does that make sense?

Ultimately, I'm trying to figure how to know if they are indeed getting better, or if I need to do more. They don't appear to be having difficulty breathing, and they aren't flashing or scratching (tho not much to scratch on in QT). My little one seemed to acting a tish erratic, but nothing too crazy. What I can tell you, is that there are more white spots than before.

So is it a case of "It'll get worse before it gets better"? And I need to try to guide them over the hump?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white "cysts" you are seeing on the fish should drop off after 3-7 days. Copper doesn't kill the parasites until after the next stage releases free swimmers into the water. So, if your copper level is at therapeutic and white spots come back after 7 days then something is wrong.

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white "cysts" you are seeing on the fish should drop off after 3-7 days. Copper doesn't kill the parasites until after the next stage releases free swimmers into the water. So, if your copper level is at therapeutic and white spots come back after 7 days then something is wrong.

Ok, it's only been 4 days now. So, those spots drop off 3-7 days, assuming that's from when they are visible, and that prior to that, there's some incubation period where the cyst is there but not visible to the naked eye. Either way, sounds like there's a range of days. Hopefully I'll see improvement towards the end of the next 7 days.

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay, fish trap helped me catch my fairy wrasse, now I just need to get the gramma.

Update on the clowns...

They seem to be doing much better. Very active, eating well, having a hard time finding white spots today. :)

I'm inclined to believe it was ich instead of velvet at this point.

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the last one! So, tank will lay fallow until early March, and hopefully all 5 fish get along in the 17g, sparsely decorated tank for that long...

My Xmas wrasse is at least happy because half he tank has substrate for him to sleep in.

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some practical questions...

Currently planning on putting fish back in DT on 3/4. That's 83 days from now.

I believe that's enough time, yes?

Also, do I need to do anything additional for the DT? The corals won't have the benefit of any fish waste... Would it help to ghost feed it, or is feeding the corals enough?

Thx again!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some practical questions...

Currently planning on putting fish back in DT on 3/4. That's 83 days from now.

I believe that's enough time, yes?

Also, do I need to do anything additional for the DT? The corals won't have the benefit of any fish waste... Would it help to ghost feed it, or is feeding the corals enough?

Thx again!

83 days is more than enough time to guarantee ick is gone from the system. You would want to run your display like you normally would. Do your water changes as normal and feed the corals and inverts... you would simply not feed the fish since they arn't there to eat it. :)

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The clowns have been in for two weeks. Happy to say there are no more spots on them. And my davinci has even gone back to attacking me when my fingers even touch the water. Maybe it's the new home...

I was hoping my davinci's fins would come back, they've receded for no apparent reason. Dorsal and flippers. They have not gotten worse in a while. I guess it is what it is.

My wrasse is still fine, if piased being in QT.

My gramma has been one week, and I no longer see spots on him either. Tho hes got some grey spit on his side. I wonder if it's tissue damage.

All in all, I'd say things are going better than I would've thought.

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I lost the fairy wrasse. I had a somewhat loose fitting net for a lid. He somehow manage to jump out. :-(

OP
OP
ytsejam02

ytsejam02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, one more week and I get to put my fish back in the DT. I can't wait! Feels like forever, and realistically, the tank has been running for 14 months, of which nearly half had no fish (initial cycle plus this fallow period). I only lost the wrasse I mentioned earlier, and that was because he did his Braveheart impersonation. It's oddly rewarding to be able to go thru this process and have fish survive. At the same time, I'd prefer not to go thru this process at all. :)

Also, I feel like the DT has suffered a bit from the lack of fish. I don't completely understand the symbiotic nature, but it's my understanding that it does exist. Most of my coral seem fine, tho my one zoa colony have suffered.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back