Should I be worried?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took apart my protein skimmer
(Bubble Magus Curve 5) and I noticed on the pump a rust line. After cleaning off there was a hairline crack in the pump. I covered with gel glue and reassembled. Should I be worried amd replace immediately. Also if so, should I shut down skimmer amd remove pump until it’s replaced? This stinks because I need this skimmer running and I don’t have time to wait

012A0687-E47A-4756-AD2E-639DE64D57E4.jpeg

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I took apart my protein skimmer
(Bubble Magus Curve 5) and I noticed on the pump a rust line. After cleaning off there was a hairline crack in the pump. I covered with gel glue and reassembled. Should I be worried amd replace immediately. Also if so, should I shut down skimmer amd remove pump until it’s replaced? This stinks because I need this skimmer running and I don’t have time to wait

012A0687-E47A-4756-AD2E-639DE64D57E4.jpeg
Have you recently had issues with corals?

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much. A few of my montis are darker colors which I believe is a lighting issue
I would still replace it in the event that it might get worse.
There were some vendors selling used skimmers on here, maybe try and see if they have pumps for you? unfortunately replacement pumps can be pretty expensive if new

Maikoa02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to mine. I also sealed the line with silicone and it worked at least another six months. About 2 weeks ago after cleaning skimmer cup I turned pump back on and it was working fine as usual. 15 minutes later I noticed a burning smell coming from the tank, it was the pump. Luckily no damage to livestock and tank. My advice is replace the pump. The pump did last 5+ years so it did serve its purpose.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back