Should I buy a trident?

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so I am still unsure of whether to buy a Trident with the ApexEl for $1,099. The reason why I was interested in the trident in the first place because how it will dose the right amount of ca, alk, or mag so that parameters stay stable. However it costs a pretty penny and the reagents need to be replaced every two months as well as kit has to be bought every 6 months and as of now they are out of stock.

All in all i'm trying to find the most simplest way of having my parameters in check without having to physically check them every week. And having a set it and forget it type of situation, of course if something isn't right I'll get my hands dirty.

Any suggestions, comments or anything else is appreciated.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If money is no issue I would have the trident setup already. ;) I have 2 tridents setup and best purchase I’ve made for my tanks. Also the 6 months kits have been out of stock for months. But they sell the 2 months and they seem to be readily available. My LFS even has the 2 months in stock.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget in order for the trident to be able to dose for you, you need the DOS also @ $300.

I would opt for the reefbot or the likes if all your looking for is monitoring.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the Trident but yes your going to need a dosing pump also.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget in order for the trident to be able to dose for you, you need the DOS also @ $300.

I would opt for the reefbot or the likes if all your looking for is monitoring.
ohh okay yeah I was about to ask that. Do you know of anything else that checks the water and doses as well?

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be seeing a lot of complaints recently about reefbot so you may want to look into that. Trident is pretty solid.

OP
OP
J

JohnIsNewToReefKeeping

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I plan to keep Lps and softies and maybe some easier SPS only thing I like about the trident is that whenever demands do increase it will keep up with the demands of the reef tank. Also, I have a 75-gallon tank so not sure whether it's worth spending the money or to just set up a doser and just check the water once a month or twice a month to make sure everything is in check.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back