Should I buy an urchin?

Is your urchin helpful?

  • My urchin is a model citizen and an amazing cleaner!

    Votes: 34 54.8%
  • My urchin is helpful, but can be a nuisance

    Votes: 15 24.2%
  • My urchin is a menace

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I don’t own an urchin

    Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Other (please comment below)

    Votes: 2 3.2%

  • Total voters
    62
Love my Halloween.

IMG_0054.GIF
IMG_0551.GIF
 
My tuxedo urchin is awesome. He is a voracious eater, and keeps things clean. He does eat coraline, and a lot of it, but he can't wipe it out - so it's not that much of a concern. He will pick up anything unglued - and sometimes things that are glued down. But no big deal - his bulldozer antics are of no concern in relation to his good traits.

I vote get one!
 
I don’t own an urchin which is me and the 6 other people is really helpful!!! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
 
I collected my pincushion urchin myself and he's tiny and purple and I absolutely love him. One of my favorite critters I've ever had.
 
I have a tuxedo in my 30. He eats well and camos himself with macro algae, sometimes with gha (lunch on the go maybe?). I sometimes see frags where they shouldn't be, but that could be the hawk fish or the conch too.

The pencil in my 15 is great. Doesn't eat the really thick stuff, nore what's in the sand, but glass and rocks he's good. He doesn't seem to relocate things either.
 
But when you have a nano like me it’s hard because they can starve in a small system. There’s other options.
You can get them tiny and trade in for another tiny one. Mine go from a 30 to a 55 and the a 75 before trade for store credit. I think they're cool and really are the best rock cleaners around. Of course I love all the weird stuff. Lol
 
You can get them tiny and trade in for another tiny one. Mine go from a 30 to a 55 and the a 75 before trade for store credit. I think they're cool and really are the best rock cleaners around. Of course I love all the weird stuff. Lol
They are really cute minus them rearranging some things. But I’m already overstocked tbh so I’ll stick with my carbon dosing and water changes to control my nutrients and algae.
 
Love my little baby tuxedo urchin! He's very cool to watch. He likes eating algae off the glass and whatever gets left on the tang's algae clip, lol. He also wears a few dwarf cerith snails all the time, and bits of rubble rock... poor snails, I need to get the urchin some actual hats!
 

Attachments

  • 20220806_171123.jpg
    20220806_171123.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 48

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new