Should I buy new light bulbs.. ORRR more corals lol

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was given 100$ for my fish tank by a friend.. she said FISH stuff only.. darn i guess i cant buy 100$ in beer. She said to get new bulbs.. i mentioned to her like 2 months ago my ATI bulbs were about 18 months old i Guess she remembered and thus the money.

The thing is i wasnt complaining about them, just amazed they were that old and i havent seen a loss in coral color or growth. Well now they are 20 months old. Two blue plus and two coral plus. Should i get more corals lol or should i actually replace the bulbs. Honestly again i havent noticed any loss in my corals color wise or growth wise.. its odd.. so yea. Sorry im addicted to corals man

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what corals you currently have or plan to buy. If they are not the kinds that are sensitive to both spectrum and intensity requirements, then go for the corals.

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well heres the thing, i have 20 acros, and some are very expensive ones and none have shown any change due to lights aging, so im confused on that lol.. thats kinda why im iffy on even bothering changing the light bulbs

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether these are softies or not at 20 months old your lamps are past their lifespan, even if you've gotten extra life outta them. I don't care who makes what you have..... Ya, I'm on the new lamps team....

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acros are adaptable to very slowly changing lighting conditions so you won't see noticeable changes until its too late

Same way you can't really see how thick a lake is frozen over to walk on, until its thin enough for you to see thru it, and by then u probably already fell into the water...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulbs... I definitely noticed a difference when I replaced mine. I even bleached a chalice and that was with changing two at a time every couple weeks.

I change mine every 12 months but some people go longer. I would say you are going to meet the end of the lifespan though and it’s silly to wait for the corals to tell you that.

Perhaps plan on changing every 18 months since you went this long ok.

Last edited:

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ill just get new bulb.. going to change only 2 at a time though, have a 4 bulb fixture
Ya, solid choice here.... I change mine every 12 months 2 lamps one at a time on yearly cycle, (I have LED's that also supplement) and they are Geismann's ....your existing corals will say 'thanks dude!'

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 59 55.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.5%
Back