Should I change my pump

bvickery1974

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2024
Messages
224
Reaction score
220
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Jabao DCW-1500 with max GPH of 400 and 5' head pressure.

I have a IM 25g Lagoon coming in.

Should I move up to a DCW-2500 or look for another.

More importantly, what GPH should I be looking at?
 
Assuming you'll have powerheads for circulation:
25 gallons • 4x turnover = 100 GPH.

A Mag 3, Quiet One 1200 or similar should do it. You could even go for a lower turnover around 1-2X and use an even smaller pump.

Lemme know if you're using this for circulation too...that'll be more like 10x, but usually comes with issues.
 
I have a Jabao DCW-1500 with max GPH of 400 and 5' head pressure.

I have a IM 25g Lagoon coming in.

Should I move up to a DCW-2500 or look for another.

More importantly, what GPH should I be looking at?

I think you are fine I have the Jabao 2000L or 528GPH in the same tank and the flow is good on its own. I would make sure to get a random flow generator output pipe, you can find them on Etsy or from VGA. If you are hoping for a SPS tank you will need a wavemaker. That being said the turnover is perfect for my 100 watt heater to keep the temp stable. I would highly recommend an Inkbird Wifi on Amazon to monitor the temperature as well as it provides redundancy in case the heater fails.
 
I think you are fine I have the Jabao 2000L or 528GPH in the same tank and the flow is good on its own. I would make sure to get a random flow generator output pipe, you can find them on Etsy or from VGA. If you are hoping for a SPS tank you will need a wavemaker. That being said the turnover is perfect for my 100 watt heater to keep the temp stable. I would highly recommend an Inkbird Wifi on Amazon to monitor the temperature as well as it provides redundancy in case the heater fails.

I have a Hygger wavemaker coming, so will have that and as far as temp control, was thinking IM Helios 100w.
 
I have a Hygger wavemaker coming, so will have that and as far as temp control, was thinking IM Helios 100w.
I am a big fan of tank turnover being 99% done by wavemaker(s) in the DT, which you can then run return pump lower, quieter, and more dwell time in the sump for filtration. I'm around 1.5x sump->DT turnver.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new