should I consider fish traffic when placing a clam?

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Joined
Aug 5, 2015
Messages
3,653
Reaction score
6,327
Location
Pensacola, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i should be getting a small maxima in on Thursday and have been scouting for a good spot for it in my tank. Will an area that gets lots of overhead fish traffic be a bad spot?

Also how do you position into the flow. Should the flow roll longways or does it matter?
 
I would place it in the sand bed preferably on a rock or other flat surface initially. Personally I like them with the shell not parallel to the front panel.
 
They'll get used to the fish traffic. My tank is fish heavy, a fish hovering over any clam every few seconds. If they came from a low traffic tank, they'll initially be hesitant to fully extend and will retract often for a few days, but they will get used to it and not even care for your hand shadows anymore.

As for placement relative to flow. I find that my clams that still move about will try to adjust their position such that the flow goes along the length of the clam. Whether it helps with their respiration or filter feeding or if they simply prefer the water to not ruffle their mantle sideways, I'm not completely sure.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new