Should i convert my FW tank to a reef tank?

TristanBara1273!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble keeping up with my freshwater tank because of my new saltwater tank and i’m wondering if i should convert my freshwater tank to a reef/fowlr tank and if it’s worth it. it’s a 15 gallon and only has two fish. i have a lot of trouble keeping up with the tank and i have a much stronger fascination with saltwater fish so should i change it to a reef tank and put a Wyoming White or some type of clownfish in it with some really pretty corals?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater is a little bit more difficult to maintain than freshwater, but if you enjoy saltwater more I’d definitely make the switch.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren’t having fun with the fw, then it’s best to do what you like. Though 2 reef tanks is 2x the work.
There are lots of easy fw fish that are as interesting as the reef ones (yes - I said it)!

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having trouble keeping up with my freshwater tank
So you want a saltwater tank instead? Which takes more work.

because of my new saltwater tank
There's probably a bit in the way of economies of scale, but I still think you'll end up doing more work with a second saltwater tank.

and i’m wondering if i should convert my freshwater tank to a reef/fowlr tank and if it’s worth it.
How's your new saltwater tank going? Get some corals in there, get dosing and good lighting and regular water changes. They'll grow. Meanwhile, shut down the fresh so you can focus on the salt. When your corals start to grow, turn the 15g fresh into your frag tank. Sell your frags. You'll likely be able to make make back 0.001% of what you spend on the saltwater tank. (Hey, it's better than nothing!)

it’s a 15 gallon and only has two fish. i have a lot of trouble keeping up with the tank and i have a much stronger fascination with saltwater fish so should i change it to a reef tank and put a Wyoming White or some type of clownfish in it with some really pretty corals?
Admittedly I know nothing about micro-reefs and there are some really pretty pictures of them out there. But I can't imagine they don't have their own set of problems, which is where the economies of scale with 2xSalt falls down. Plus, if you're keeping corals you'll probably need new lighting and I bet you'll end up investing non-trivial $ into the 15g. Are you really up for that?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back