OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update! So I didn't get to the store today...apparently they are randomly closed Thursdays. So instead I talked with the marine biologist who professionally took care of this tank for many many years. Shes cares for littlerly hundreds of tanks. So I thought I'd give her a shout... because for a second I was doubting myself and my knowledge. I asked if there is anything more I can do for this tank than what im already doing and there's pretty much not. Lol
Everything I'm doing is on point. Water change water change water change. That's how it's going to get under control. She said dont add anymore bacteria. The fish are hardy and to drop the salinity to .019 to prevent ice and velvet. I can do 10% daily if thats what it takes. So guess what I'll be doing tomorrow. And the next day. She personally said she doesnt use anything but salt and buffer and doest like the prime. But w/e I love prime in this case. Prime is a savior. So that makes me feel a wee bit better and I'm so glad I asked the forum for a water change and now I'll continue doing that.
She also said they would go 3 months without changing the water sometimes (personal YIKES) LOL no wonder why that water is yellow and smelly. Thats a hefty bioload for that tank

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update! So I didn't get to the store today...apparently they are randomly closed Thursdays. So instead I talked with the marine biologist who professionally took care of this tank for many many years. Shes cares for littlerly hundreds of tanks. So I thought I'd give her a shout... because for a second I was doubting myself and my knowledge. I asked if there is anything more I can do for this tank than what im already doing and there's pretty much not. Lol
Everything I'm doing is on point. Water change water change water change. That's how it's going to get under control. She said dont add anymore bacteria. The fish are hardy and to drop the salinity to .019 to prevent ice and velvet. I can do 10% daily if thats what it takes. So guess what I'll be doing tomorrow. And the next day. She personally said she doesnt use anything but salt and buffer and doest like the prime. But w/e I love prime in this case. Prime is a savior. So that makes me feel a wee bit better and I'm so glad I asked the forum for a water change and now I'll continue doing that.
She also said they would go 3 months without changing the water sometimes (personal YIKES) LOL no wonder why that water is yellow and smelly. Thats a hefty bioload for that tank
Good to hear that it's going to well!

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! We did another water change, water clarity is better and best thing is im pretty sure there is no ammonia!!! I have an api test kit (my red sea one is coming on Monday) api saltwater ammonia is always so tough to read and not always accurate. But it looks to me like there is little to no ammonia in the tank right now!

Attachments

• 20201122_100448.jpg
    20201122_100448.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, my red sea test kit came today! Wow what a difference in accuracy than api I'm really glad I got it. So these are my new readouts:
Nitrite .05ppms (api tested 0)
Nitrate 50ppm+ would need to do the high range test variation. (Api tested 20ppm)
Ammonia .2 ppm (Api looked 0 but its really really hard to tell with the ammonia test)
Ph is 8.3 which api tested the same.

My order of chemi pure blue and purigen came today as well

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ammonia tested in the tank right now, everything else is within range and the purigen & chemi pure is helping the water clarity and excess nutrients. Fish are happy!

Attachments

• 20201127_164450.jpg
    20201127_164450.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 9

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back