Should I dose Kalk?

Zaven D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Ive been dosing B-ionic 2 part on my tank for the last several months things are going pretty solid. My Acros are growing steadily, and I have some great colors.

I heard that dosing kalk has a ton of benefits including reducing the need for 2 part, and increasing the ph in the tank.

The PH in my tank runs at about 8.34 during the day, and goes down to approximately 8.15 at night.

Current system spec is 120 gallon dosing 45 mil of equal 2 part throughout the entire day.

Should I even consider going Kalk? I have a spare doser and a 10 gallon bin that I could utilize for a kalkwasser storage container.

Any thoughts or input will really help!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need any pH boost, but if you want to, using some kalkwasser is a fine plan (I used it alone for 20 years) or you could switch to a higher pH two part using sodium hydroxide instead of sodium carbonate for the alk part.

Wildcats1023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need any pH boost, but if you want to, using some kalkwasser is a fine plan (I used it alone for 20 years) or you could switch to a higher pH two part using sodium hydroxide instead of sodium carbonate for the alk part.
Instead of starting a new thread I’ll use this one @Randy Holmes-Farley my situation is my ph is at best 8.1-8.15 during the day and drops to around 7.85-7.9 overnight. I have a co2 scrubber and a line ran outside to scrubber. My reef is a 220 sps dominate and I use aquaforest 123 for my dosing elements. I can get the ph higher and better growth with windows open but that’s not an option this time of year where I live. My house is newer and pretty air tight. What are your thoughts on me starting kalkwasser to raise ph?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of starting a new thread I’ll use this one @Randy Holmes-Farley my situation is my ph is at best 8.1-8.15 during the day and drops to around 7.85-7.9 overnight. I have a co2 scrubber and a line ran outside to scrubber. My reef is a 220 sps dominate and I use aquaforest 123 for my dosing elements. I can get the ph higher and better growth with windows open but that’s not an option this time of year where I live. My house is newer and pretty air tight. What are your thoughts on me starting kalkwasser to raise ph?

Kalkwasser, or swapping out the alk portion of the aquaforest for sodium hydroxide seems a good plan.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back