Should I dose nitrates in the ugly phase?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is 6 months old and nitrate has never been above 0 except after the cycle. I have had phosphates in the water, but never nitrates. I have been in the ugly phase for about 6 months and I’m starting to see that the end is near. I know algae consumes nitrates so that’s what I have been thinking the culprit has been but I wanted to see what y’all thought. Should I wait until the ugly phase is over or should I start dosing now? And if so, what product would you recommend?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

you should clean the tank to control the uglies, don’t be reactive be proactive and thorough. High or low nitrate isn’t implicated in uglies, lack of coralline and grazing is the cause. We can force remove the growths to make way for coralline which will lower your work in time

= price of dry rock reefing is much more hand gardening

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure hoping you have a nano :) if this is a 180 we w need the fluconazole

a large tank rip clean plus two month updates

a smaller tank example, two folks not playing around here:

Last edited:

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is 6 months old and nitrate has never been above 0 except after the cycle. I have had phosphates in the water, but never nitrates. I have been in the ugly phase for about 6 months and I’m starting to see that the end is near. I know algae consumes nitrates so that’s what I have been thinking the culprit has been but I wanted to see what y’all thought. Should I wait until the ugly phase is over or should I start dosing now? And if so, what product would you recommend?
You can either add cuc, or clean it yourself. 6 months seems like a looong time to be in the ugly stage. Most of my reading has said a month, or two.
if you decide to clean yourself, add equal parts hydrogen peroxide and tank water into a cup, dip a toothbrush into it, pull a rock out and scrub the problem areas. Rinse by dunking the rock into a bowl of clean tank water and repeat on the next rock.
Adding a macro algae, like dragon’s breath, to the tank will control nitrates. But, pick a good place to attach it - like, use a rubber band to snuggly strap it to the base of your return nozzle - or, it will become a $20-$30 snack for your crabs. Good luck!
Dosing with something like AlgaeFix can work, but as it all dies, your nitrates will climb and I understand if you don’t wish to dose your tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back