Should I dose TM’s all for reef?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ninjamyst, for what it’s worth, I have a monti cap near each rear corner of the tank. I have an encrusting fruity pebbles monti on the rear glass and a cyphastrea and another encrusting monti also on rear glass. My devils hand and galaxia are fairly ticked off today but that’s very unusual.
What lights are those? Look pretty dim and not enough coverage. All the corals you named are fast growers.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in my first year of saltwater. I have a 65 gal AIO and my corals range from mushrooms and zoas to montipora and a frag or two of acropora. I have never dosed anything and corals are doing pretty good but other than a few soft corals and leathers, I am not noticing any real growth. My parameters are pretty stable while using fritz rpm blue box salt.
I just don’t want to fix what is not broken but if I can improve on things I’m all for it. I will include a pic of my parameters as tested last night. Salinity stays at 1.025 but shows 1.024 as of now because I ran out of salt. Working on getting that back up.

A9975D3C-D228-4E08-9140-D4E80F357A33.png
Your phosphates are a little high (shouldn’t be over .05) and that usually interferes with calcium absorption.
our parameters and corals are similar and I just started using AllForReef and have notice growth in my montis, but I just added my first acro last week. Good news is, I’ve started seeing polyp extension in my acro, so things seem to be going in the right direction.
good luck!
If you decide against AllForReef, you want to try Kalkwasser.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are a little high (shouldn’t be over .05) and that usually interferes with calcium absorption.
our parameters and corals are similar and I just started using AllForReef and have notice growth in my montis, but I just added my first acro last week. Good news is, I’ve started seeing polyp extension in my acro, so things seem to be going in the right direction.
good luck!
Thank you. I actually had to dose phosphate back up. I went on vacation a few weeks ago right after pulling fish to go fallow. I didn’t know how to feed the tank or etc so I had my house sitter some food portions for every other day and so on. When I got home the whole tank was covered in brown hair algae and my phosphate was 0 and nitrates took a dump also. I upped my cuc and things have finally gotten better. I am no longer purposely increasing phosphate by the way. Lol

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are those? Look pretty dim and not enough coverage. All the corals you named are fast growers.
AI prime 16 hd. I plan to get a third eventually but that’s what came with the tank. Also my schedule is ramping down when I took the picture.
I was hoping for fast growth on the glass but I may regret it… I hope to find out though lol

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I actually had to dose phosphate back up. I went on vacation a few weeks ago right after pulling fish to go fallow. I didn’t know how to feed the tank or etc so I had my house sitter some food portions for every other day and so on. When I got home the whole tank was covered in brown hair algae and my phosphate was 0 and nitrates took a dump also. I upped my cuc and things have finally gotten better. I am no longer purposely increasing phosphate by the way. Lol
Tried the same thing and ended up with Dinos. In hindsight, I think I’d rather the hair algae…At least I’d have an excuse to add a lawnmower Blenny.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s another reason I thought they should be higher… to match the salt.
Doesn’t matter, only really matters if you do an extra large water change say in an emergency, so yeah good for that reason but alk is easily raised or lowered in salt mix so no real need to match the salt, the difference an average water change would make to alk in the tank is minimal.

It is actually beneficial to you to have a higher alk in your salt as this is what is helping raise your alk with a water change, if it was the same as the tank then the w/c would no be as helpful.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back