Should I get a Blue Green Chromis?

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about getting a Blue Green Chromis from my lfs. Mostly because I want a blue fish to add in my 40 gallon breeder.

My main concern is Uronema Marinum and the fact that I don't quarantine. It may seem like blasphemy but it's what I'm doing. This forum post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-other-way-to-run-a-reef-tank-no-quarantine.534274/ really convinced me not to quarantine. Maybe I'm going against what this article says by being worried about this but the disease sounds pretty scary and also it seems to never goes away.

The problem is Uronema Marinum is pretty nasty and seems to be a permanent thing once it's introduced to your tank, but it only seems to effect a few kinds of fish (chromis, butterfly, wrasses, ect..) but I only plan on maybe getting a wrasse eventually. I've read all kinds of things about this disease. A lot of people suggest taking the whole tank down and bleaching the whole thing once it's infected and I will definitely will not do that. Other people just live with it. I guess my question is a series of questions.

1. Should I just skip the fish and maybe get another blue fish or just settle without?
2. How common is Uronema Marinum actually?
3. Technically shouldn't it be assumed that this disease lives in everyone's tank including the fish store to some degree?
4. How badly does this disease effect fish like clownfish, gobies, wrasses, ect..?
5. Is there a way I can make sure that if I do get the fish, it is free of Uronema Marinum without actually quarantining in my own home?

I know it seems odd to fret over this just for one $6 fish but thought it might be interesting and maybe this topic can help someone else some day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Was thinking about getting a Blue Green Chromis from my lfs. Mostly because I want a blue fish to add in my 40 gallon breeder.

My main concern is Uronema Marinum and the fact that I don't quarantine. It may seem like blasphemy but it's what I'm doing. This forum post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-other-way-to-run-a-reef-tank-no-quarantine.534274/ really convinced me not to quarantine. Maybe I'm going against what this article says by being worried about this but the disease sounds pretty scary and also it seems to never goes away.

The problem is Uronema Marinum is pretty nasty and seems to be a permanent thing once it's introduced to your tank, but it only seems to effect a few kinds of fish (chromis, butterfly, wrasses, ect..) but I only plan on maybe getting a wrasse eventually. I've read all kinds of things about this disease. A lot of people suggest taking the whole tank down and bleaching the whole thing once it's infected and I will definitely will not do that. Other people just live with it. I guess my question is a series of questions.

1. Should I just skip the fish and maybe get another blue fish or just settle without?
2. How common is Uronema Marinum actually?
3. Technically shouldn't it be assumed that this disease lives in everyone's tank including the fish store to some degree?
4. How badly does this disease effect fish like clownfish, gobies, wrasses, ect..?
5. Is there a way I can make sure that if I do get the fish, it is free of Uronema Marinum without actually quarantining in my own home?

I know it seems odd to fret over this just for one $6 fish but thought it might be interesting and maybe this topic can help someone else some day.
Assure they’re healthy and do best in trios or more

Reefjnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had luck with chromis. They all faught and eventually I was down to one fish. They are pretty and might be better in huge tanks with big schools but i've tried up to 5 fish and slowly they were killed by the others.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a school of 20 when I first started my tank (400g). Now 10 years later I'm down to 9. Don't let anyone tell you that these are simple well behaved fish. There is a real hierarchy amongst them, and the weakest get bullied hard. They all fight at times. Mine spawn all over the tank and during this process they become ultra aggressive to each other and to their tank mates (defending their spawning territory). Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love these little jewels, but don't believe that they are a simple docile shoaling fish. They are also voracious feeders and rapidy consume anything in the water column in a matter of seconds.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with them is mostly similar to @JayinToronto however I've never had mine be significantly aggressive to anything except each other. I had a school of 7 that got whittled down to a school of 3 quickly for what I suspect was bullying. The three then lived in harmony for years. I recently added another 7 small ones. Two of them were very timid in quarantine and the other 5 bullied them a bit so I was worried about them from the start. They didn't last long in the big tank. The 3 big chromis instantly went after them. However, now everyone seems to be getting along after that murder spree. They do add beautiful color and movement to the tank.

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat - just upgraded from a 40g to a 125 and looking at additional stocking. A schooling group of chromis would be lovely, but everything I've read scares me off...

Like you mentioned, Uronema doesn't ever go fallow as it will survive off detritus. If I were to do it, I'd definitely want to quarantine and proactively medicate. Plus, most people I've read say they don't really school together. Seems like the most luck regarding aggression has been due to feeding multiple times per day.

I'm still on the fence, but given the Uronema issues, and that they don't really school and the intra-species aggression, that is 3 strikes plus not sure I want to add the recommended 6+ and have that much bioload all for one species. I think I'm going to stay away and add a single azure damselfish for a blue color (supposedly the least aggressive of damsels), although I'm following this thread for more experience :)

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 that have done well over the past year. Two of them did come down with uronema, but I was able to clear it up with Ruby Reef Rally and no other fish contracted it.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most i ever had was 7-9. Id start.with 3. Depends on how active ur.tank.is. 1.fish might not get them to school. They are like anthias and that they are always eating and swimming. Really need to feed them a lot imo.
D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back