Should I get a flame angel?

Saltwater_hobbiest

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 16, 2025
Messages
107
Reaction score
19
Location
Minneapolis
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a flame angel fish but I have heard bad stories about them in reef tanks. I only have soft corals in my reef tank. Should I take the risk and buy one?
 
What kind of soft corals are on the menu?

A lot of them are probably safe from a flame.
 
I got one and it never touches my corals, model citizen with my other fish great fish overall. I feed heavy and I think that helps.
 
I really want a flame angel fish but I have heard bad stories about them in reef tanks. I only have soft corals in my reef tank. Should I take the risk and buy one?
These fish are hit and miss with coral. I have mine 5 years and bother nothing but they are reef safe caution and potentially can nip soft coral
 
Mine has never bothered any corals but I have heard of they are not well fed they will start to get a taste of corals. One person I heard his developed a taste for zoas after having no problems for 2 years
 
Had mine for a bout a year and it started eating everything. Particularly loved acans and gonis. He was well fed as well. Took him out and everything went back to normal.
 
It’s a roll of the dice . There have been some they never touch a coral , there have been some that get the taste for them . Then once they do acquire the taste they don’t stop .
 
As others have said, it's a mixed bag. Some people never have issues with them, while others have constant nipping issues.
If you do get one, make sure you are feeding them well, and they should avoid your corals
 
Mine doesn't pick at any corals and I've had him in mixed reef for a year now.

He is however the tank bully. He chases my damsels, maroon clown, and strawberry dottyback constantly. The only fish he leaves alone is my Starry Blenny.
 
If you can source one that is already in a mixed reef tank and it isn't nipping corals... That's pretty safe, and what I did.

Also, feeding 3-4x a day helps.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new