Should I "Ignore" Ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pictures. The fin damage came with it and has healed quite a bit since I introduced it into the tank. I don't have a hospital tank set up at the moment but I can set one up which has to be cycled... Also there is 0 aggression within all tank mates in the tank. Only aggression noticeable is the cardinal chasing off the other cardinal for 1 second and then going back to buisness

ich1.jpg ich2.jpg ich3.jpg
Any chance of a re-take under white lights?

Jay

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth this is my one and only experience with ich. I introduced 5 tangs all at once almost 4 months ago. I don't have QT and did not quarantine them. I did hold them at LFS for almost 3 weeks observing them. After introducing all 5 the Purple tang got ich a couple days later. Several of the other tangs got a few spots and scratched on the rocks. I feed them well with garlic soaked nori and vitamin soaked frozen cubes. Regular water changes and maintenance. After a few days they all had shook it and had no spots except the purple tang. I would of liked to of caught him and dipped him but impossible to catch. I was considering hiring LFS to help me catch this fish. After about 30 days the purple tang was free of spots. Its been over 100 days and all is good. There are 15 other fish in the tank. None of them were affected. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance of a re-take under white lights?

Jay
The camera makes thing appear much more blue than what it actually is for some reason. (This image is from today where the ich has fallen off)

image0.jpg

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my plan now is to keep water quality good, and get a the selcon vitamin to boost their diet. Maybe I'll remove one of the 2 cardinals as one has been bullying the other so much that it is in the corners now

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The camera makes thing appear much more blue than what it actually is for some reason. (This image is from today where the ich has fallen off)

image0.jpg
It does seem to have some blanching, possibly where the ich trophonts were attached. Be aware that at the start of an infection, it is very common for the trophonts to drop off, multiply and then come back in greater numbers. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security by see a spotless fish for a short period,

Jay

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem to have some blanching, possibly where the ich trophonts were attached. Be aware that at the start of an infection, it is very common for the trophonts to drop off, multiply and then come back in greater numbers. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security by see a spotless fish for a short period,

Jay
those patches came with it and I don't know what they are. Don't look like flukes or anything.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish are showing signs of velvet. Guess I’ll be forced to go eradication anyways

jkobel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates here? I'm fighting Ich and going thru a QT process for the first time with my Tang and other fish so trying to learn all I can from other's experiences.

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates here? I'm fighting Ich and going thru a QT process for the first time with my Tang and other fish so trying to learn all I can from other's experiences.
I’m fighting velvet (and maybe even brook) now and already lost 4 fish to it already. One of the deaths was my fault because I slacked off because of school and preparing for QT. The ones I moved to QT all have no visible signs of velvet or brook yet. dang cardinal fish are strong. If the velvet didn’t come up I would just deal with ich instead of fallowing. I had to tear my scape up and mess up my room and deal with old HOB filter sound at night

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back