Should I make a manifold for a Red Sea 170?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octo VarioS 4 return pump I was planning on using for my new tank, I wanted to hard plumb it into the tank and also add a manifold with 3 outputs for other equipment. Is this a good idea for this size tank and pump? The various 4 says it has a flow rate of 1056 GPH. Is that enough to cover the return into the tank and then power a few other reactors? I am debating on what I should do, manifold or no?

I also need help with figuring out how to plumb the return pump, do I use a schedule 80 Union slip thread to attach to the return pump? What do I need to attach to the top of the return pump to be able to hard plumb the other pvc pipes into a manifold? I have a bunch of unions that came with the pump but they do not fit on this thread.

IMG_1052.jpg

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reef octo VarioS 4 return pump I was planning on using for my new tank, I wanted to hard plumb it into the tank and also add a manifold with 3 outputs for other equipment. Is this a good idea for this size tank and pump? The various 4 says it has a flow rate of 1056 GPH. Is that enough to cover the return into the tank and then power a few other reactors? I am debating on what I should do, manifold or no?

I also need help with figuring out how to plumb the return pump, do I use a schedule 80 Union slip thread to attach to the return pump? What do I need to attach to the top of the return pump to be able to hard plumb the other pvc pipes into a manifold? I have a bunch of unions that came with the pump but they do not fit on this thread.

IMG_1052.jpg
I run a Varios 2 on my 170 and still a lot of excess capacity with the pump (I run mine on 2) so the 4 should be fine to run a manifold with some additional equipment, just note it will be tight in the sump area. Unions for the return pump should have been included with the pump. If you don't have one I would take the pump to the hardware store with me to find one that fits. I would use a union between the pump and the manifold for ease of maintenance.

Back