Should i move this sunset monti

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a week it went from this to this, i think its too high up in the tank. And is getting slightly paler. Also i get coralline algae that encrusts on the overflow and then it dies after some time what gives. And then other places it will grow perfectly fine.
Alk 8.0
Mag 1350
Phos .12
Nitrate 5ppm
Calc 440
Sal 1.026
509AC036-1E7F-43CA-BAFA-C12DA82C4468.jpeg
7CE1D8AB-E3F5-4F33-AF94-50BAEF742CB5.jpeg

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of light do you have? Lowering it could help. I kept mine mid-level under T5 and it was a little more rust-colored except for the edges. Looks much more pink under LED, and towards the upper areas though.

Keep in mind, it grows like a weed. You might want to put it somewhere that you would be comfortable with it covering, or that's easy to frag. Grows over acropora, anacropora, psammacora, and cap montis in my experience.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of light do you have? Lowering it could help. I kept mine mid-level under T5 and it was a little more rust-colored except for the edges. Looks much more pink under LED, and towards the upper areas though. The sunset is very pink under the leds. I upped the whites just for the picture

Keep in mind, it grows like a weed. You might want to put it somewhere that you would be comfortable with it covering, or that's easy to frag. Grows over acropora, anacropora, psammacora, and cap montis in my experience.
Oh i have an ai prime hds running ab plus, ya i have some monti caps near it. Can i essentially place it anywhere and it will be fine? As long as it gets good flow. I put it next to other monti caps that are growing well

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tougher to say with AI prime HD imo, as those things can put out some serious light. You might want to move it lower to see if it gets more color. I've bleached a few corals with that light in my 20 gallon trying to figure out the settings.

I'd say they are about as tough as most montis, but they grow much faster. If they get stung by another coral, just the end will bleach and they'll grow over their own skeleton until they grow over the other coral. My red cap monti doesn't even sting my mystic sunset. The mystic sunset is happy to grow right over it. I have already saturated my LFS with this stuff, but man they have great color for the price!

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but it looks like mystic sunset to me. Pink/red base with blue polyps. The sunset monti (which I also have) is red with green polyps. Not the best name for the colors, but also a very attractive monti. Mine is doing battle with palythoa at the moment, as the palys are happy to grow over it.

My tank is under constant coral warfare. I bought a bunch of frags over the past 2 years (about 1 per gallon in a 90) and everything grew into everything!

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats interesting, ya its a mystic sunset. It has the bi color polyps that are 3 white and 2 brown. Ill try moving it a little lower tomorrow. I might break off a piece and start it on the back glass

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back