Should I paint the inside of a diy stand ?

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I built a stand from pressure treated 2x6 and was wondering if it is necessary to paint the inside to protect it or if I should leave it alone. Thanks.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I would paint it. Not only will it help to protect the wood, but depending on what you paint it with will be MUCH easier to clean up spills. I painted the inside of mine white to make it reflect light better. It is SO much easier to see when I am working down there.

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have painted the plywood top from underneath , the inside plywood and the floor with white kilz primer . Just have not done the 2x6 yet. If I do paint it that's what I will be using .

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Paint it. You will get salt creep down there if you have a sump and it is a pain to clean if you don't paint. Another BIG reason to paint is treated lumber can leach over time into the tank if there is any spray that drips from it back into the sump. This is toxic to fish and corals.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have painted the plywood top from underneath , the inside plywood and the floor with white kilz primer . Just have not done the 2x6 yet. If I do paint it that's what I will be using .

Not all paint is safe around saltwater. If any paint can be safe, I trust Krylon paint as many people recommended it to me when I painted the inside of my stand.

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like stated above with pressure treated it can leach so painting will encapsulate it. Additionally it just looks a lot cleaner and easier to see stuff like drips or salt creep.

OP
OP
Hondatek

Hondatek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely will have a sump. Display is a 350 and sump is a 180 gallon. I didn't know about the leaching of the wood treatment. Wish I didnt just put a coat on the floor of it . Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

• I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Other.

Back