DIY Tank Stand

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the process of making a new tank stand and am getting pretty close to it being finished. I have a 21 gal tank and am not exactly sure what to do when I have it done.

Here are some picture of the progress. It will be painted black.
IMG_5320.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

So my question is what should I do when transferring everything over?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
first, have you dried fit everything? as in, did you make sure everything you want to keep under the tank fits? that way you don’t have to make last minute changes or additions. would be terrible to have to dismantle everything because a dosed head or something of that nature didn’t fit

definitely make sure the inside is coated/painted with something to repel or seal water out so the wood doesn’t degrade over time

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first, have you dried fit everything? as in, did you make sure everything you want to keep under the tank fits? that way you don’t have to make last minute changes or additions. would be terrible to have to dismantle everything because a dosed head or something of that nature didn’t fit

definitely make sure the inside is coated/painted with something to repel or seal water out so the wood doesn’t degrade over time
All that I truly have to fit is a ATO Container, Cannister filter, and a power bar; of which all fit currently. No sump or anything of that nature.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
second the above. i coated mine in killz for primer and top coated with appliance enamel paint, thought that would be enough, but should have gone 2 coats. Saltwater is a very harsh environment, especially when you add lots of time to the mix.

As for the transfer method, get a couple large bins/totes that are water tight and move everything too heavy to lift into those, rock etc, along with half your water volume. Keep half the water, clean, in a separate container and add it all back. Either rinse your sand THOUROGHLY or replace it if you stir it up. fish can go in a bucket or similar while you set up their new habitat.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
second the above. i coated mine in killz for primer and top coated with appliance enamel paint, thought that would be enough, but should have gone 2 coats. Saltwater is a very harsh environment, especially when you add lots of time to the mix.

As for the transfer method, get a couple large bins/totes that are water tight and move everything too heavy to lift into those, rock etc, along with half your water volume. Keep half the water, clean, in a separate container and add it all back. Either rinse your sand THOUROGHLY or replace it if you stir it up. fish can go in a bucket or similar while you set up their new habitat.
Okay also what type of wood was the top of your aquarium? I'm hoping for a few coats of paint at least on the top.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
although if you are just doing a straight across move, just the new stand, same tank. i would pull 3/4 of the water, get a friend and just heave ho.
Yes it will be same tank just a different stand. I think If I removed 3/4 of the water then I can put most of my higher up corals into the bucket with I water for the short time being.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay also what type of wood was the top of your aquarium? I'm hoping for a few coats of paint at least on the top.
i used pine 2x6's, but i coated the whole of it (the top) in proMarine boat epoxy. it has been up 5 years now and still looks as good as day 1

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be same tank just a different stand. I think If I removed 3/4 of the water then I can put most of my higher up corals into the bucket with I water for the short time being.
if you are quick, you don't even need to do that. you have about 20-30 mins they will be fine. just fill up a spray bottle full of tank water and spray them down every few minutes and they will do even better.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are quick, you don't even need to do that. you have about 20-30 mins they will be fine. just fill up a spray bottle full of tank water and spray them down every few minutes and they will do even better.
Ahh okay I could definitely do that then. I was thinking... "what happens when the tide goes out" lol. I'm more worried about the tank shattering when picking it up.

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideal material is MDO. Marine grade plywood. You don't even have to seal it. You can use it raw if you want to.

U can use any Marine grade sealer/finish.
Interesting Ill keep that in mind for future tanks. I am still on my first tank and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh okay I could definitely do that then. I was thinking... "what happens when the tide goes out" lol. I'm more worried about the tank shattering when picking it up.
framed or unframed tank? a framed 29 is beefy enough not to worry. unframed, be cautious where you grab to pick it up and try not to tweak it, but it should be fine too. i would be most worried about rock structures tipping over cracking the bottom. just be careful and it will go great!

OP
OP
Cdavis66

Cdavis66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
framed or unframed tank? a framed 29 is beefy enough not to worry. unframed, be cautious where you grab to pick it up and try not to tweak it, but it should be fine too. i would be most worried about rock structures tipping over cracking the bottom. just be careful and it will go great!
Unframed Tank. Yeah most of my rocks can't tip over but I got 1 that is just standing separately.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the process of making a new tank stand and am getting pretty close to it being finished. I have a 21 gal tank and am not exactly sure what to do when I have it done.

IMG_5320.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

Nice looking stand!

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5320.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

Beautiful work!! Craftsmanship looks top notch!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option vs paint is black polyurethane. I used that when I made panels for a metal stand. Color and protection in one process (still did 3 coats, buffed between coats). Just an option.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back