Should I Raise Alk and P04?

o-townFLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the best ways to raise Phospates and Alkalinty..... or leave it as is

My P04 on my Hanna Phosphate ULR is reading (0.01) and my Alkalinity is is reading (7.4) Hanna Checker in the DT and (7.7) in a freshly made batch of RedSea Blue Bucket...

Currently only have (1) Clown and a single 4-headed Torch, (3) Margarita snails and a single hermit.

08385BFE-15A6-4CC7-A805-E051ED231609.jpeg

Tank is only 2+ months old, so I’m slow to add anything till I have a lil stability

0A0824FE-C5CB-4237-AF1B-F6405F4B6874.jpeg

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not change anything for the moment. Phosphates are good especially in such a young tank. Alk can be increased to 8 when you are starting to add lps or sps to have a slightly higher margin. 7,3 is not bad at all and comes close to what we find in the ocean. However increased alk (8-9dkh) can be benificial for coral growth and will give you some margin to maintain the “safe zone” in case of a alk-decreasing fluctuation.

OP
OP
o-townFLA

o-townFLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not change anything for the moment. Phosphates are good especially in such a young tank. Alk can be increased to 8 when you are starting to add lps or sps to have a slightly higher margin. 7,3 is not bad at all and comes close to what we find in the ocean. However increased alk (8-9dkh) can be benificial for coral growth and will give you some margin to maintain the “safe zone” in case of a alk-decreasing fluctuation.

The 8-9dkh is what I’m trying to achieve stability wise. Just so I’m not messing with the water perimeters when other corals are bought

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 8-9dkh is what I’m trying to achieve stability wise. Just so I’m not messing with the water perimeters when other corals are bought
Sounds like a good plan to me!

Is this your first tank? If so, I like the fact you have gathered enough information and knowledge before starting this hobby.

Keep it up

OP
OP
o-townFLA

o-townFLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good plan to me!

Is this your first tank? If so, I like the fact you have gathered enough information and knowledge before starting this hobby.

Keep it up

Appreciate it!

It’s my 1st personal SW tank. My brother has been in the game for decades and I have some knowledge from pond keeping. Not to mention, this whole build was mainly DIY by me

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back