Should i run a skimmer on my Biocube 32?

Will_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all first post here on R2R, to give some background I have just set up a biocube 32 and it currently has 35lbs of dry rock, 20lbs live sand, and the water mixed to 1.024sq. I am using the In-tank media basket with filter floss and 1L of sea Chem matrix. I will start to truly cycle it with Dr Tim’s fishless cycle kit on Thursday when it comes it the mail. I plan to make this a reef tank with mostly softies and a few fish, or maybe a single lion fish if possible.

My question is, should I buy and start to run a skimmer on this tank? Or is a skimmer on a “nano” like this a waste of money? Past threads on this topic show quite a bit of disagreement on the effectiveness of a skimmer on a nano, but I thought maybe since those threads are old, opinions have changed.

if I should be running a skimmer is the Coralife Biocube 32 V2 skimmer good enough, or is there a better one That does not require modification.

If I get a skimmer, should I run it while cycling, or after ?
Thanks for the help! -Will

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a skimmer is not a waste of money, it provides good benefits to the tank, especially if you want to get corals later on. I run a aquamaxx 1.5 hob skimmer on my 32.

EDIT: I never used the coralife biocube skimmer, but I did use the coralife hob skimmer for about 2 years, it was a good reliable skimmer, but needed frequent 'tuning'.

Its up to you when you get a skimmer, I like to get it on and turn it on right away, it gives time for the machine to break in, also gives you a chance to learn how it works, and tune it in the way that you want.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say yes some say no. Really it’s up to you. Personally I’ve seen on my tanks without a sump they are not as effective because of variable water levels in the aio sections of a tank like that. If it were me I would opt for an auto top off first. And just do religious 10% weekly water change and see how it goes can always add one down the road

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer not needed yet on that tank but will help with oxygenation of the water at this point.
I have tried the nano skimmers and they are finicky or can be.

On my current 20g nano I run this simple air driven skimmer I made. Cheap to make if you use regular pvc. I used clear so I could see whats happening in this design.
Works well for a small system and comes apart for easy cleaning.
Hardest part was finding a cup. This will do but still looking for a better cup.
2" pvc.
Just fired up on my 2 week old nano.
20230310_133512.jpg

20230323_160501.jpg

Last edited:

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer not needed yet on that tank but will help with oxygenation of the water at this point.

On my current 20g nano I run this simple air driven skimmer I made. Cheap to make if you use regular pvc. I used clear so I could see whats happening in this design.
Hardest part was finding a cup. This will do but still looking for a better mix.
2" pvc.
20230310_133512.jpg

20230323_160501.jpg
That things awesome

OP
OP
Will_

Will_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a skimmer is not a waste of money, it provides good benefits to the tank, especially if you want to get corals later on. I run a aquamaxx 1.5 hob skimmer on my 32.

EDIT: I never used the coralife biocube skimmer, but I did use the coralife hob skimmer for about 2 years, it was a good reliable skimmer, but needed frequent 'tuning'.

Its up to you when you get a skimmer, I like to get it on and turn it on right away, it gives time for the machine to break in, also gives you a chance to learn how it works, and tune it in the way that you want.
hey thanks for the feed back, that’s what I thought about the skimmer and I’m going to look into the aqua max 1.5 now, but I’m trying to picture mentally how it would fit. Do you happen to have a picture?

OP
OP
Will_

Will_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say yes some say no. Really it’s up to you. Personally I’ve seen on my tanks without a sump they are not as effective because of variable water levels in the aio sections of a tank like that. If it were me I would opt for an auto top off first. And just do religious 10% weekly water change and see how it goes can always add one down the road
Thanks for your reply, this is definitely one route I’ve been thinking of taking too

OP
OP
Will_

Will_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hardest part was finding a cup. This will do but still looking for a better cup.
2" pvc.
20230310_133512.jpg

20230323_160501.jpg
That’s very cool! The air stone at the bottom just lifts all the gunk right to the cup?

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon and will eventually go with a small hob skimmer. Tanks only about 2-3 months old. Maybe in 3/4 months.

OP
OP
Will_

Will_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 15 gallon and will eventually go with a small hob skimmer. Tanks only about 2-3 months old. Maybe in 3/4 months.

hey thanks for the feed back, that’s what I thought about the skimmer and I’m going to look into the aqua max 1.5 now, but I’m trying to picture mentally how it would fit. Do you happen to have a picture?
Can you run this hob skimmer without removing the hood?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back