OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds excellent. Is your tank new, and did you start with dry base rock? If the answer to both is yes, then it will pass in time, provided you keep up with the good husbandry. A tank is very screwy for the first 6 months (especially when you start with dry base rock), unfortunately patience is an important part of this hobby. Just keep it up, don't get discouraged.
Thank you for the kind words

I started with some "cultured rock" they said from my LFS tho it was sitting in a bucket with water for who knows how long,

Then it sat at my house in the same bucket for a couple days till I was ready to fill the aquarium

So all bacteria may have died, corriline algea survived, but it died because I didn't turn on the lights for the first 2 weeks,

Anyways on the weekend I'm going to get a toothbrush for the tank and carbon and a media bag, is there any suggestions for where I should put the carbon in my sump?

Tank :Red sea reefer 170 total system 45gallons

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the kind words

I started with some "cultured rock" they said from my LFS tho it was sitting in a bucket with water for who knows how long,

Then it sat at my house in the same bucket for a couple days till I was ready to fill the aquarium

So all bacteria may have died, corriline algea survived, but it died because I didn't turn on the lights for the first 2 weeks,

Anyways on the weekend I'm going to get a toothbrush for the tank and carbon and a media bag, is there any suggestions for where I should put the carbon in my sump?

Tank :Red sea reefer 170 total system 45gallons

This will give you some diversity and way cheaper than LFS

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This will give you some diversity and way cheaper than LFS
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure they don't ship to Canada :(

View Badges
Embrace the ugly.

astera snails, just make sure they don’t die when they get turned over.

dwarf ceriths

conch

trouchus snails, but they’re big and not as fastidious as the asterea snails because of it. They can right themselves though which is nice.

I think the general advice here is keep it up, you’re not doing anything wrong.

OP
OP
F

flatreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the package contents for an idea of what to get.
Yeah thats what I'm doing, I'm searching the web for something similar to reefcleaners.org but the Canadian version lol, if not then I'll browse the LFS'S around me and try to mimic the package you showed me

Thanks eh

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have
3 ninja star snails
2 turban snails
1mexican turbo snail
2 blue legged hermits

If you think I need more I'll get more
In my 170, I can currently see 1 medium turbo, 3 banded trochus, 8 astrea, and 3 cerith snails, but I don’t have any herbivorous fish in the tank. I had more snails in this tank, but the pistol shrimp has killed off a lot of them over time.

I think your tank could use a few more snails, but given time your fish may eat it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very easy to use an old credit card and shave off in strips and net and discard. reduce white light intensity and after manual cleaning, add chiton, turbo grazer, astrea, cerith snails and even an urchin to tackle this.
Dolabella sea hare will work great but you will have to gift it to someone before it starves once algae is gone

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back