Should I separate ?

Shawaiz_106

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2020
Messages
315
Reaction score
96
Location
Ireland
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
so I have had this clownfish(the bigger one) for about 6 months and this is my first ever aquarium.
last week I got another clownfish which is a bit smaller ( I thought it will help with aggression ) and on the first day there was no aggression and the new clownfish did the shimmy dance ( if that’s what it’s called ) and I thought that was good but I caught the bigger clownfish going for the smaller one and is really aggressive during feeding.
i have a slo mo video of the clownfish attacking but idk if I should separate or let them work things out

thankyou
 

Attachments

  • FullSizeRender.mov
    17.9 MB
i wouldn't worry about that if it was time to take one out you would definitely know it i had a tomato clown once and tried to get a smaller one to pair with her she immediately tried to kill him tore up his fins really bad
 
The dominant one will still usually put the male in its place as they establish their roles. Unless it’s getting really beat up, I wouldn’t stress.
 
A couple weeks to a month off and on maybe until they sort it out but they can go back to battling later. It depends on their difference in size/age/maturity. If they are close to the same size it will go on longer as they both want to be the dominant. If one is clearly a female and much older/larger than the other, it doesnt take long. However mine have been "paired" or bonded or whatever for 3 years with a clear size difference and if I change the rockwork/territory etc the female goes back to bullying the male for a week or so.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new