Should I separate ?

Shawaiz_106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
so I have had this clownfish(the bigger one) for about 6 months and this is my first ever aquarium.
last week I got another clownfish which is a bit smaller ( I thought it will help with aggression ) and on the first day there was no aggression and the new clownfish did the shimmy dance ( if that’s what it’s called ) and I thought that was good but I caught the bigger clownfish going for the smaller one and is really aggressive during feeding.
i have a slo mo video of the clownfish attacking but idk if I should separate or let them work things out

thankyou

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    17.9 MB

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldn't worry about that if it was time to take one out you would definitely know it i had a tomato clown once and tried to get a smaller one to pair with her she immediately tried to kill him tore up his fins really bad

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dominant one will still usually put the male in its place as they establish their roles. Unless it’s getting really beat up, I wouldn’t stress.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple weeks to a month off and on maybe until they sort it out but they can go back to battling later. It depends on their difference in size/age/maturity. If they are close to the same size it will go on longer as they both want to be the dominant. If one is clearly a female and much older/larger than the other, it doesnt take long. However mine have been "paired" or bonded or whatever for 3 years with a clear size difference and if I change the rockwork/territory etc the female goes back to bullying the male for a week or so.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back