Should I start a Frag Tank To Sustain Hobby?

OP
OP
ChristianReefer

ChristianReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so it's been some time since posting to the thread, but I'm back! And I've decided to start the grow-out/frag tank. Lots of stuff going on in the "Fish Room." Will be posting some updates as soon as I get some time. Look forward to hearing from the community. I'm going to need lots of help with ventilation and moisture.

template_1.png

1612221887465.jpg

20210201_171509.jpg

template_3.png

OP
OP
ChristianReefer

ChristianReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs is all ways looking for beginners corals. Does it offset my cost, no but yesterday I walked out with 55.00 store credit.
That's exactly what I'm trying to do. Hopefully it goes according to plan. You know how that is.

OP
OP
ChristianReefer

ChristianReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need some feed back on the humidity and moisture in my fishroom and some suggestions on fixing the problem. I'm having to top off alot of water on my grow out tank. It may be because there is so much more surface area of water then I'm use to or it's just the room.

I posted a video on YouTube. If you go to the 12 minute mark you can see what I'm dealing with.

The fish room is located in the middle of the house. It's really just a sun room. The ceiling goes straight up through the attic. I say that just for you guys to know that I have access to all four sides of the sun room through the attic. I'm thinking that adding something either in the room or in the attic to vent the room is possible. Just looking for the best and most affordable route. By the way, I'm renting this property, and for that reason not willing to put any major cost in this project. Also, the owner has no problem with me finding a solution to this issue.

Thanks in advance!

12 minute mark:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easy solution is glass tops on the tank. Will drastically cut down evap....but in exchange for more maintenance and less air exchange. The climate where you live it may not be an issue but generally speaking i would never vent it into the attic. Warm moist air going into the attic in the winter is recipe for condensation and mold.

I use an window air conditioner in my fish room about 6 months a year. About 4 months(early spring/late fall) i use a large window fan(blowing out). During the coldest periods like now i use a dehumidifier in the room.

OP
OP
ChristianReefer

ChristianReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easy solution is glass tops on the tank. Will drastically cut down evap....but in exchange for more maintenance and less air exchange. The climate where you live it may not be an issue but generally speaking i would never vent it into the attic. Warm moist air going into the attic in the winter is recipe for condensation and mold.

I use an window air conditioner in my fish room about 6 months a year. About 4 months(early spring/late fall) i use a large window fan(blowing out). During the coldest periods like now i use a dehumidifier in the room.

I use an window air conditioner in my fish room about 6 months a year. About 4 months(early spring/late fall) i use a large window fan(blowing out). During the coldest periods like now i use a dehumidifier in the room

Thanks for the responce.

Im trying to find a way to get fresh air in the fishroom and vent out the moisture/humidity. Maybe tapping into the air duct from the attic and diverting it into the fish room and having a electric fan pulling moisture and humidity out and through the attic and then outside through some exhaust vent or something. But a dehumidifier sounds like a good option for now. Looking for something more long term.

I heard that dehumidifiers are expensive to run and and a lot of maintance with expensive filters. Going to do some more research on that.

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. I’m not really doing it for the business but though might as well since I will be growing coral. Mainly soft coral to start. See what happens I. The future. I live in Houston Texas and it seem like there is a demand for corals around here.
Definitely ! I’m in Cypress and I’m always looking around for sellers! I’m planning on sometime next year starting a small frag tank to help keep up with the hobby cost, I’m planning on growing mainly Zoas and hammers. Not sure whether to plumb it into my tank or not haha

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back