Should I stop washing my filter socks in washing machine?

BRS
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I definitely don't feel comfortable washing my filter socks in the washer. With my recent find of bristleworms in my tank, I don't even feel comfortable washing them by hand either! lol.

If you stick with filter socks, I highly recommend this:
1625599103667.png

I personally have gone the filter pad/cup route for sump and only use socks for cleaning the sand.

Tamberav

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I never have that issues washing my socks in the washer but it is a newer front loader and I do an extra rinse cycle and let them dry completely before use so the bleach evaporates (I wash in batches). I could see it being an issue in some old washers I had in some of my apartments though!

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Size of tank would play a part here, I personally wouldn’t.

I wouldn’t feel comfortable drinking a glass a water that had been ran through a “clean” washing machine so wouldn’t use it for the socks either.
Really great analogy! Completely agree. I'm don't feel as sensitive as my tank seems to act.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
For a few years I have washed in my front load unit- warm water Only and never an issue. I have been switching to mesh which I can wash by hand in under two minutes and place right back in tank

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I worry about adding chemicals from the washer all the time, im thinking of trying the reef diaper disposable filter socks because of it.
its just every time i wash and even let the washer do extra rinses, i still get some residue that comes off after a final rinse with a hose. No way something isnt making it back into my dt
These are a great find! Had never heard of them and are a great alternative to having to wash socks.

Think I might give them a try. At a buck a replacement, it's not cheap, but not that expensive either.

As to the OP, I have always washed felt socks in the washing machine. I soak them in a bucket of bleach till I have a load full( I have a lot of socks lol), then just wash them on normal with an extra rinse cycle. Hang to dry and throw them into use. My skimmer may decrease in bubble production for like 20 minutes, but have never has them overflow.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
When I had new socks that used to happen. Also I never put them in the washer, I always wash them as soon as I pull them out and then throw them in a bucket of water with h2o2 in it until I replace the next set in the sump, so they are already wet from the bucket going in.

Avast

Pistondog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ever time I change my filter sock for a clean one from the washing machine (one wash with no bleach or soap) the skimmer wants to overflow for about 2 minutes and then it normalizes. I can deal with the temporary overflowing by waiting a bit before turning on the skimmer, but is there any harmful substance that I’m possibly adding to my tank?

We wash a lot of laundry with laundry soap, softener, and sometimes bleach. I noticed the softener fill reservoir had a slimy film from the fabric softener. Is this transferring to my sock?

Is there any harm?
Have you tried running without the sox. I took mine out 3years ago.
Maybe put them back for an hour if you vac the sand bed during wcs.

KrisReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The washing machine is a wonderful invention and the myth that it cleans clothes make me smile.

Read why your clothes make you itch here:

Youtube Vlog GIF by Megan Batoon

Zoanthids
BRS

Do you quarantine new coral before adding it to your reef tank?

• YES always

Votes: 80 17.4%
  • Sometimes depending (tell us why)

Votes: 56 12.1%
  • NO never

Votes: 312 67.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 2.8%