Should I trim this chalice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter RobertK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

RobertK

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
881
Reaction score
982
Location
NorCal
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This chalice coral is about 6" in diameter. It has been healthy and growing for the last 2 years. In the last 2 weeks there has been some tissue loss around its margins. I think this was caused by a dosing pump problem - my calcium dosing pump failed and Ca got too low and alk got too high; it was probably like that for a week or two before I realized and corrected it. My other chalice is fine. Should I get the bone cutters out and trim off the exposed portions of skeleton or should I just leave it alone? TIA.

IMG_6409.JPG
 
Last edited:
This chalice coral is about 6" in diameter. It has been healthy and growing for the last 2 years. In the last 2 weeks there has been some tissue loss around its margins. I think this was caused by a dosing pump problem - my calcium dosing pump failed and Ca got too low and alk got too high; it was probably like that for a week or two before I realized and corrected it. My other chalice is fine. Should I get the bone cutters out and trim off the exposed portions of skeleton or should I just leave it alone? TIA.

View attachment 4428787
Leave it alone unless you want to frag it into a smaller chalice. Are the edges overgrown the disc its on? Have they been buried in the sand at all?
 
It is not on a disk and there is no sand in the tank. It is glued to a rock and sits a few inches off the floor of the tank.
 
It is not on a disk and there is no sand in the tank. It is glued to a rock and sits a few inches off the floor of the tank.
I would leave it. Unless its been receeding for a while and there is algae already growing on the bone, then you might want to scrub it or trim it.
Receeding chalices have usually always made a full recovery in my tank unless the above mentioned issue comes into play.
 
In case you end up fragging it, a dremel with a diamond blade cuts through it like it is butter leaving nice clean cuts. I’ve done it with my at least half a dozen times.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new