Should i upgrade? Using Rebel XSI to learn

kharn101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello All,
I am currently starting to get into photography of my coral, and man, it is a journey.
Lots of good data, but I first want to ask if I get a new camera.
I got a Cannon Rebel XSI from a friend, and it comes with an 18-55 mm stock lens.
Is this a good camera to mess around with and learn, or should I scrap it and get a new one?
I saw a sony A6000 and identified it as the next camera should this stink.
Also, are you guys using Photoshop to edit your pictures?
Appreciate your help!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The XSi is an entry level body that appears to be pretty well packed with features that should have you happily snapping away for the foreseeable future.

The basic lens will work for a broad spectrum of photography, although like the one I have with my T7i, you will find most macro shots very difficult. Since the XSi body works with EF and EF-S lenses, you may at some point wish to look into the EF-S 60 or the EF 100 macro lenses. My understanding is that the 60 allows you a longer focal length than the 100. (kinda handy for aquarium photography as its not always convenient to be able to be within 100 millimeters of your subject lol)

For post editing, I use Adobe Lightroom. Easy to use and full of features.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kharn101

kharn101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So looking a the lense its around 500$ with image stabilization? And for a Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera With 16-50mm and 55-210mm Lenses I am seeing it the same price? Does it makes sense to upgrade or am I looking at the wrong 100 m lense

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looking a the lense its around 500$ with image stabilization? And for a Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera With 16-50mm and 55-210mm Lenses I am seeing it the same price? Does it makes sense to upgrade or am I looking at the wrong 100 m lense

I would work with what you have for now. Learn all of the basics of photography..

For now, you have a decent basic body and lens. This is the time to experiment and learn.

Think like this.. Is it worth it to you to spend $1500 to buy a camera body with all the bells and whistles that you have no idea how to use or even what they mean?

Just like spending $30,000 won't buy you a showpiece aquarium if you don't know how to maintain it, a better camera body is useless if you don't know why it's better...

Practice practice and more practice... Read the stickies in this forum.. ask questions.. We are here to help.

Be grateful this is the digital age.. you don't have to spend 8 bucks on a roll of film and then 30 to get it developed only to find everything is garbage and not a single shot is worth keeping.. lol

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than that.. read the review here....

The Canon you have, looks to be a better body than the Sony at least based on the reviews.

In my own opinion.. Since the Sony and the XSi are both entry level bodies.. and since you already have the Canon, I would save my money and use what you have. You don't need a macro lens to take good pictures. What you have will work just fine once you learn how to utilize the settings.

Any photographer will tell you that it's not the body that counts, it's the "glass" (lens)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kharn101

kharn101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the advice, one last question in order to dull the blue color out, like wearing orange/ yellow tinted glasses to see the true colors of the coral, is there a particular lens that does this?

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, one last question in order to dull the blue color out, like wearing orange/ yellow tinted glasses to see the true colors of the coral, is there a particular lens that does this?
Try adjusting the white balance to 10k. Also look for some extension tubes on Amazon for great close (macro) shots.
This is great too - Avast top down porthole

I'd use what you have, maybe get a used 90mm Macro lens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back