Should we be using brown filters on phones for realistic pics?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank runs on the bluer side of the light spectrum you probably use an orange filter to help with the blue. You will also notice it exaggerates all the colors if you use pure blue light. I might have found an alternative that gets you realistic pics without exaggerating the colors.

Check out the video to see some examples.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank runs on the bluer side of the light spectrum you probably use an orange filter to help with the blue. You will also notice it exaggerates all the colors if you use pure blue light. I might have found an alternative that gets you realistic pics without exaggerating the colors.

Check out the video to see some examples.

I noticed too that orange filters add an orange tint adding too much warmth to the corals. This is interesting good to see a more accurate alternative

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck getting people who are selling $300 frags to use a brown filter. I do agree it's 10x more realistic than orange filters. I think certain led users and vendors have come to view the orange filters as standard now. Makes me sad, I would enjoy things to go back to how they were when we named corals by their color and species, and who or where it originated from.
I would like to see some close up shots with brown filters to see how they look.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where to get a brown filter for a phone? I saw some that looked to be for traditional camera's but had coffee instead of brown. They looked more black than brown tho.

Stickboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see anything wrong with orange filters because you should know what the coral looks like before you buy so if you know what a homewrecker looks like then if ones under a orange filter just to see what the actual frag looks like

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I have a large sample filter pack and can generally find a shade of orange that works well, it’s pretty light, but will look at brown!

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty darn perfect! The orange filters really do a disservice to anyone using them to sell. I know I just move on if I see a vendor or "person" using them to try and sell corals. It's also unfair to newer hobbyist who think that there's actually corals out there that look like they are on fire. (Some do, but very few). Then they buy them, usually for good amounts of $, recieve them and are completely disappointed.

Good find @bubbaque !

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea. An even better idea might be to adjust things with software. A test photo or video is first taken in which there is a piece of white plastic in the tank. The plastic is then removed, and filming is done as usual. On the computer, the white piece of plastic will look tinted. Using the software, the color balance is corrected until the plastic looks white. When this is done, the color inaccuracies of the rest of the tank are corrected as well.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using sunglasses for years now when taking photos with iPhone. I think the brown lens is a much more realistic look then the orange filter.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have software like Lightroom then you won’t need a filter but for phone pics it helps.

Here is a pic using the brown filter with 5 blue+, 2 coral +, 1 actinic and two actinic led strips.
164D65E9-0795-48E9-9123-8CF5C7923787.jpeg

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found white balance works great for nice cameras, but for quick iPhone where you don’t want to mess with anything shots this is awesome!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back