Shout out to all the Australians

MmmmBalf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our prices for just about everything are more expensive than overseas. I remember seeing an interview with the director of Ikea, who said they charge a lot more for the same thing in Australia simply because it's the price we expect to pay, nothing to do with how much it costs to produce or ship. Last time I was in the U.S., I bought a telescope and paid $1500 - the exact same scope in Australia is $3100. Shipping costs don't account for anywhere near the mark up we pay. :mad:

We get severely ripped off. I always try to source things from overseas when I can. I'm about to buy a Profilux Controller from Germany (Australian power). Total cost including shipping will be around $950. Compare that to buying it here (although I don't think the Profilux 4 is even here yet) for around $1500 ish with the same inclusions, and that's for the III EX. Of course it's not always possible with electronics, due to the power compatibility, but luckily GHL sell all their different power configurations online. Not much we can do about livestock unfortunately. Just have to wear it.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to go overseas for most things too. eBay is great for that :)

I saw a RBTA for $600 in Australia recently. Liveaquaria sells them for $50-$100 in the US.
Yellow watchman gobies can go for $180+ when they're a $20 fish in America.
It really irritates me that we get such a crazy mark up even though we're so much closer to the reef where they're collected. Livestock should be cheaper for us :(

I'd love to see what Americans think about this and weigh in on what is cheap over there compared to what's pricey here. I may start a thread about it later today if I remember

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ordered from marinefishdirect.com.au?
I'm looking at their website and it doesn't seem too bad. Some of their prices are pretty good!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how the toxins became gaseous and exposed to air. I always assumed corals would release toxins in a liquid form.
Also, did they mention what species the frag was? Maybe palythoa?

MmmmBalf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think zoas were mentioned in one news article. Rescuers said that the coral was removed from the tank & scrubbed with a brush! :rolleyes:

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Aussie thread! Awesome. Hey all! :)

With regards to that incident, I saw on our local Facebook group in Adelaide the family involved posted through a friend what happened. Short story is they had an algae outbreak in their tank so decided to help rid of it by scrubbing the rock with a toothbrush.
They didn't even know there were paly's or zoa's on the rocks. Hours later they realised what had most likely happened and called for help.
Pretty unlucky and unfortunate for newish people in the hobby. But shows everyone has to be vigilant and taught of the dangers in this awesome hobby.

94Roarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EOI, if anyone on here lives in Brisbane I have a few fish I am looking to move on and would love to send them to an R2R home if possible.
1x pair of Chrysiptera parasema Yellow Tail Damsels
They are great little fish, just a little too territorial for the tank they are in and would be snacks in my other tank. I got them from a tank shut down last year some time.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have some tank hardened birdsnests frags they're willing to post?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back