Show Me Your Equipment Cabinets

dallas reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished mine! Not a professional job but it does the job...
image.jpeg
Nice. I was thinking of doing the same

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not very DIY savvy but this is the first time I attempted to make a cabinet for equipment.
I wanted a no clutter look so I came up with this idea for my fish nook
Nookwithchair.jpg

This is the mess before I upgraded the tank
2014-10-08.jpg

I started out with an Ikea shoe cabinet and re-purposed it. I liked the idea of a swivel down control panel.
20140924_124958.jpg

The first attempt wasn't very neat and the wires would pull when the shelf was opened
2014-10-09.jpg

The motion activated light was cool though
2014-10-09.jpg

Then I installed DJ strips, I couldn't make the big one fit so 2 small ones were installed
20141112_153548.jpg

And this is how it is today - the plug and power switches are on the bottom, the top control panel is empty - had to move the gyre controller on the wall, as well as the light controller.
I'm considering making the top shelf a place for supplements or food after I change the configuration of the shelf a bit.
20151009_093022.jpg

But that's my equipment cabinet and my nook :)
20150724_163409.jpg

justin.k.nelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the cabinet of my 75 gallon mixed reef tank. The stand is 48" wide by 40" tall which is nice for viewing without having to lean over much. With the extra cabinet height, I made an equipment shelf above the sump. The controls are mounted on the doors, which swing open. Everything else hides behind the doors, mostly electrical cords.

I use to tie cords together nice and neat, until I found how difficult it was to remove a piece of equipment. Now its accessible, fast and easy to remove any item with the cords sitting loosely on the shelf.

IMG_5572_zpshr57gqwd.jpg

It's a mess of cords, electrical outlets and transformers you don't have to look at, once the doors are closed.

IMG_0582_zps6bf14fcc.jpg

This setup is EPIC! I wish I thought about this when I setup my tank.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The area under my Red Sea Reefer 450. Behind the double doors is the sump area and behind the 3rd door was a completely open chiller area. I do not need a chiller where I'm at, so I converted it to a control panel that is hinged for easy access to all of the Apex Energy Bars etc.

IMG_4539 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4560 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_4008 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

davescrews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The box is the NBA-10176 from BUD Industries NEMA Boxes - UL/NEMA/IEC NBA Series | BudInd

I drilled out the side and bottom to accommodate a cooling fan, cords and ventilation. The panel the the controllers are mounted to is just a piece of 1/4" acrylic that I routered out and painted.

I'm not sure if I have more pic's of the building process with the box or not, I'll look later today.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back