Show me your experiences with difficult fish to keep or expert only fish.

OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Copperbanded Butterfly fish now for like 6 years. He slowly started taking frozen but I gave clams in the beginning. Now it eats like a pig and I hand feed it pieces of table shrimp and loves frozen mysis. I also have evansi anthias that are finicky at first but start them on calensis or cyclops if they don’t eat rich away. Lastly I am trying my first Achilles tang that I had in an observation tank and is now under quarantine with copper as it had ich. So far it is eating well and should pull through the treatment.
Good luck with your Achilles tang, it's a beautiful and very elegant fish. I'm waiting for my chance to try a CBB, but I can only seem to get frozen clams, everything else I have on hand is frozen food, I recently fed my fishes with San Francisco bay area mysis and they pretty much devoured it, with no However, I have not been able to do it again.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my majestic angel

7DC65A77-2CDE-49F9-8092-2A97EDDB3CC1.jpeg

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My dream leopard is the black leopard.. Although I started with the blue star to hopefully be prepared when I take a black on
I was NOT prepared, but my LFS got them in at a great price so I took the plunge. He was awesome and doing really well in my tank but he succumbed to the velvet outbreak that took out so many of my favorite fish.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept cbb, blue star leopard, and regular leopard wrasse, all are pretty easy fish once you get them eating. Cbb sadly past away after 2 week vacation and away from the tank as I wasnt there to hand feed him multiple times a day, leopard wrasse both still doing great and eat everything. One of my leopards I have had for around 3-4 years.

OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my majestic angel

I've heard these guys are consumed when water quality is poor, large angels are quite susceptible to disease if the right conditions aren't offered, that's the difficulty with these fish IMO, your fish looks magnificent, it's one of my favorite large angelfishes.

OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept cbb, blue star leopard, and regular leopard wrasse, all are pretty easy fish once you get them eating. Cbb sadly past away after 2 week vacation and away from the tank as I wasnt there to hand feed him multiple times a day, leopard wrasse both still doing great and eat everything. One of my leopards I have had for around 3-4 years.
What did you first feed with your CBB? I would hate to lose fish to go on vacation but you can't be a slave to the tank either, how many times a day did you feed it? I had multibarred angelfish but they went 6 weeks without feeding before they died.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my majestic angel

I had a Majestic Angel a long time ago. He was a perfect reef fish. The second one I tried was a reef terror and I have to removed him. One of my favorite Angel along with my Regals and my French Angel pair. These are the most graceful of all the large angels.

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a pair of Bicolor Angels. These 2 were rather skinny when I got them. After several months and multiple feedings a day these 2 are now doing awesome and pretty much rule the aquarium.
Bicolor 2.jpg
Bicolor.jpg
Bicolor-Dutoti.jpg
IMG_2582.jpg

OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up a pair of Bicolor Angels. These 2 were rather skinny when I got them. After several months and multiple feedings a day these 2 are now doing awesome and pretty much rule the aquarium.
Bicolor 2.jpg
Bicolor.jpg
Bicolor-Dutoti.jpg
IMG_2582.jpg
That's a pretty nice pair, did you have aggression issues at first? Long ago these fish were labeled as very difficult, others say they are easy/moderate fish, I consider all angelfish to be moderate level fish upwards.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you please tell me what the second, fourth, fifth and sixth wrasses you have there?
Those wrasses are;
Anampses neoguinaicus (nuptial displaying male) - China Wrasse
Anampses neoguinaicus (female) - China Wrasse
Anampses neoguinciaus (male) - China Wrasse
Macropharyngodon negrosensis (male) - Black Leopard Wrasse

I assume you mean in order of the photos - it’s hard as most of those are the same species just different stages of colour.

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty nice pair, did you have aggression issues at first? Long ago these fish were labeled as very difficult, others say they are easy/moderate fish, I consider all angelfish to be moderate level fish upwards.
Yes, I remember when these were considered difficult to keep as well. No aggression between the pair but the larger Bicolor of the 2 is king of the aquarium. I tried adding a Red Sea Racoon Butterfly (3") a month ago and had to remove it due to the Bicolors relentless attacks. The Bicolors get along fine with the Flame and Multicolor Angels.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to know the experiences of the aquarists here, what fish have they had? What have been your methods to adapt these animals to your tank? Do you use a quarantine? What medications do you use in quarantine and how do you use them? Data like this can help many aquarists to be able to follow a kind of pattern to keep fish that are considered difficult to keep. Personally, the only fish in this range that I have dealt with have been the regal angel and the multibarred angel, I did not do well with the P. diacanthus 11 or 12 years ago, since I was quite new to keeping fish and to be honest the fish he never ate or left the rocks, I put it directly in my main tank, a small 50 gallon tank, at that time I did not even have a measurement test, a disaster, the fish died 10 days later, and I have never tried another .
Two years ago I tried my luck with the multibarred angelfish, they rarely arrive in Mexico, and I was fortunate that a trusted friend obtained it from QM. So again the fish went straight into the dt, a 90 gallon tank with a coral beauty angelfish (new fish) and a flame angelfish (came from my 30 gallon tank) that I added at the same time, luckily there was little aggression from the flame angel. The multibarred angel always had a lot of character, it roamed throughout the tank, however he never tried food, I tried everything I could find, mysis, seafood porridge, cyclopezee, brine shrimp, and of course dry food in pellets and flakes but without success, the fish refused to eat and died 5 weeks later, at least at this point I had no problem with my tank, just a difficult fish to keep that did not adapt, I'm planning to have a try with either of these two fish, considering the multibarred angel in a separate tank, but the regal angel would go into my main tank, these come from time to time but the prices are ridiculous, so since my last attempt I think I have more experience for either of these two fish, I will try soon as soon as I have the opportunity. Show your experiences here and add your photos, let's see those beautiful fish.

20190417_124408-1.jpg
The food that was missed, was Pygmy Angel Formula. Never had an Angelfishes refuse it. Even a very sick one I purchased for $10, it survive and outgrew my tank.

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those wrasses are;

I assume you mean in order of the photos - it’s hard as most of those are the same species just different stages of colour.
the male China Wrasse is stunning....on my list....I'm a huge wrasse fan and building with an Ornate, Melanurus, Yellowhead, Timor Orange Dashed, Blue Throat, Dusky and a Yellow Chest Twit....love them

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those wrasses are;

Do you need a male and female China Wrasse in order for the male to display that coloration, of simply a lone male?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need a male and female China Wrasse in order for the male to display that coloration, of simply a lone male?
For nuptial colouring you will need a pair however for the regular male colouring you just need a singular male :)

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with Regals hasn't been that great. The only one I kept long term was from the Red Sea. Unfortunately those are now $400.00. I was out of the hobby for 5 years and decided to set up a 90. I plan to keep smaller Angels and maybe a couple of Butterfly's. The fish I currently have are:
1-Flame Angel
2-Bicolor Angels
1-Multicolor Angel
3-Yellowtail Damsels
1-Diamond Watchman Goby
1-Yellow Watchman Goby
1-Sixline Wrasse
1-Flame Hawk
1-Pseudochromis fridmani
1-Pseudochromis dutoitiis
1-Pearlscale Butterfly

The one piece of equipment for a fish only system I highly recommend is a UV Sterilizer. Not the cheap or hang on the back models. I have been using AquaUV's for years and they work. I currently run a 25 watt classic model with 400 gph going through it.
Bicolor 1.JPG
Bicolor 3.JPG
Bicolor 4.JPG
Damsel 1.JPG
Goby 1.JPG
Multicolor 1.JPG
Pearlscale 2.JPG

OP
OP
LaloJ

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with Regals hasn't been that great. The only one I kept long term was from the Red Sea. Unfortunately those are now $400.00. I was out of the hobby for 5 years and decided to set up a 90. I plan to keep smaller Angels and maybe a couple of Butterfly's. The fish I currently have are:
1-Flame Angel
2-Bicolor Angels
1-Multicolor Angel
3-Yellowtail Damsels
1-Diamond Watchman Goby
1-Yellow Watchman Goby
1-Sixline Wrasse
1-Flame Hawk
1-Pseudochromis fridmani
1-Pseudochromis dutoitiis
1-Pearlscale Butterfly

The one piece of equipment for a fish only system I highly recommend is a UV Sterilizer. Not the cheap or hang on the back models. I have been using AquaUV's for years and they work. I currently run a 25 watt classic model with 400 gph going through it.
Bicolor 1.JPG
Bicolor 3.JPG
Bicolor 4.JPG
Damsel 1.JPG
Goby 1.JPG
Multicolor 1.JPG
Pearlscale 2.JPG
Magnificent images of your fish, quite clean and healthy. Regal angelfish from the Red Sea have positive experiences for many aquarists, but as you say they are already very expensive, lately I have seen several specimens from the Indo that do not look promising, the food passes by without even being seen. What are the positive points of your uv filter? I've considered one for my future tank, but opinions are widely mixed and I'm honestly not sure I'll place it in the future.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back