Show me your Red Sea 170 Sump!

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently got a Red Sea 170 and I'm trying to figure out how to set up the sump and how you're handling all the cables and whatnot.

I was thinking of making a nice macro algae refugium, although it seems having a skimmer might make it a little bit difficult since the lack of space.

SmallLebowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently got a Red Sea 170 and I'm trying to figure out how to set up the sump and how you're handling all the cables and whatnot.

I was thinking of making a nice macro algae refugium, although it seems having a skimmer might make it a little bit difficult since the lack of space.
I put a piece of black ABS plastic with holes drilled through it in the large portion of the sump to create a separate skimmer chamber. The holes allow water flow but are small enough to keep the chaeto out. I put the chaeto on the right side of the sump chamber, with a $25 Acke grow light (24w) hung from the top of the cabinet. Grows chaeto like a champ.

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Red Sea reefer 200 so it’s very similar to the 170, just an inch deeper and taller. Here’s what my sump looks like at the moment. I used the marine depot controller board and shelf to organize the cords. I’m consider changing the ATO to a small fuge because the ATO only lasts about 3 days.
80B69AA0-8519-48F7-9A4C-C27996227D30.jpeg

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up. Did not occur to me when planning mine to use a smaller skimmer that would fit in that spot. Bet that skimmer works well for this size tank. Really nice use of space.
Thanks.

the doser on the top right is dosing 1 liter a day of limewater, so the stock ATO lasts for ~6 days. The limewater jug is the only thing I couldn’t fit in the cabinet.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

the doser on the top right is dosing 1 liter a day of limewater, so the stock ATO lasts for ~6 days. The limewater jug is the only thing I couldn’t fit in the cabinet.

Interesting I have the same skimmer!

I wont be using the red sea ATO, its way too tiny.

OP
OP
Zeal

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All these seem a little messy. Im looking to try and make something more organized and maybe put everything outside the tank

yamanailesi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to see yours. Since I am about to start up with a very similar custom ade tank. Best of luck.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back