Show me your TALL REEF tanks

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my wife took a job in Cincinnati and we purchased a new home down there (though we are awaiting inspection and thus have yet to close... crosses fingers!) We also have our first child on the way, due October 26th.

The Mrs. wants a new tank in our new home and has picked out this spot in what will be the dining room. I didn't have a true tape measure but with room dimensions the width is likely a few inches over 6ft with 9ft ceilings.

So I'm considering a wide, tall, not very deep tank. The unusual shape would pose a mix of problems but also more unique opportunities. I would have filtration in the basement below and can have the floor reinforced professionally. Thinking the tank should start low enough so that the toddler can see in, and have the mid tank at eye level for eating at the dinner table (sushi?). Will be a mixed reef with minimal acros or a softie LPS dominant tank. Thinking acrylic is prone to scratches but can't have a glass tank break if the little kiddo hits it with a toy or something.

Let me see your tall reef tanks! I need some inspiration. Also any advice?

Tank would go on the wall between the two walkthroughs into the living room.
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 3.12.59 PM.png

View from the kitchen
Screen Shot 2020-04-28 at 3.13.46 PM.png

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a 110t. The glass is nice and thick and unless your kid is throwing spark plugs or bits of tungsten around the house, you should be fine. Acrylic is safer but scratch removal is a pain and you absolutely WILL scratch it.

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30" Tall Acrylic.
1588200478513.jpeg
This is awesome. I love kessils, how do they perform with the 30in deep tank? I imagine you would have to turn them down quite a bit for the softies. I like the archways and the stocking choices.

Can I ask how thick that acrylic is? Any bowing?

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a 110t. The glass is nice and thick and unless your kid is throwing spark plugs or bits of tungsten around the house, you should be fine. Acrylic is safer but scratch removal is a pain and you absolutely WILL scratch it.
Hmmm interesting I had not considered that shape... haha no I can’t imagine there will be any major rock throwing incidents. I guess I was just sort of resigned to “this will scratch but I will live with it.” But modern, thick glass should not be brittle anyways... I need to look into this more haha

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. I love kessils, how do they perform with the 30in deep tank? I imagine you would have to turn them down quite a bit for the softies. I like the archways and the stocking choices.

Can I ask how thick that acrylic is? Any bowing?
Thanks I run about 35-40% Color 55% Intensity varies from morning to night. 3/4" all sides, 1/2" top and bottom
No Bowing in 3yrs

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new tank is a 110 with 55 gallon sump

0EAA2C53-A694-40A4-A589-31DA4F05716F.jpeg

U

User1

View Badges
This is awesome. I love kessils, how do they perform with the 30in deep tank? I imagine you would have to turn them down quite a bit for the softies.

This wasn't directed at me but since I have a 30" tall 210 gallon tank I can answer a bit on the lights. Kessils are typically mounted lower to the water surface than other LED lighting. They have a really wide spread based on their lens and LED package. BRS just updated their video on them which gives a pretty good spacing and height recommendation. If you haven't watched it I would recommend it.

As far as the light punching down 30 inches of water with surface agitation. I've not had any issues but my tank is still maturing. My maxima prior to my matted file fish going rogue didn't have a issue with the lights. Kessil makes a lens adaptor that is magnetic I believe and it takes the default 130 degree spread and drops it to 90 I believe. So it will narrow, allow punching through, while also increasing PAR a bit. It doesn't impact it in any way.

So if you have a high light demanding coral at the bottom you would use that on the light above it. Or one on each side near it. If that helps.

Check out the BRS video on the a360x and the updated one. They don't cover the lens which was interesting but they do a great job of height and spacing. It really is one of the better off the shelf lights.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey where did u get that rail kit for ur lights?

Here.

& this for the rail but I got them on sale. I then went to Lowe's & bought some threaded hooks & nuts to tighten them down & Black chain. The rail has a cutout that runs the length of it.

OP
OP
Smarkow

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in follow-up the house FAILED inspection terribly... foundation issues, roofing, siding, electrical, plumbing... a flip gone wrong. We're under contract for another place but the layout would suggest a much more classic tank layout down in the walkout basement. So would still love to see some tall tanks but not as pressing of a need as before!

Thanks all

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back