Flow in tall reef tanks 72 x 24x36

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for flow advice for my tank, bothnin terms of equipment, flow patterns, and aquascape. It is a 72” x 24” x 36”, setup as a room divider between two columns, with overflows on both side panels and both front and back viewing panels. Intend to be an sps dominant mixed reef with tangs and angels. I’ve had a tank with these livestock before but a tall reef tank is a new challenge. I know I need higher power lights and pumps to make it work, but the tall viewing panels are worth it to me. Tank will be delivered soon, we changed the height to 36” after these drawings were made. Thanks in advance.
IMG_8242.jpeg
Resized_Resized_20230630_172021.jpeg

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going with a bare bottom set up, you may want to consider adding a closed loop system with the outlet close to the bottom of the DT to stir up the detritus. If you want, you can see what I did in my 36" deep cube to keep the bottom clean (post #18 of my build thread).

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going with a bare bottom set up, you may want to consider adding a closed loop system with the outlet close to the bottom of the DT to stir up the detritus. If you want, you can see what I did in my 36" deep cube to keep the bottom clean (post #18 of my build thread).
Thanks, I’ll take a look at that

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running the same size tank but not viewing from both side, which allowed me to do dual over the back returns.

returns - dual sicce sdc9's running at 50%, 1.25" pipe, random flow generators.

drains - dual corner overflows with 1" drains. 1.5" emergencies with reducer to 1.25 bulkhead so that they are a little noisy when in use.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back