Show Me Your Top Leads

Gabriel Guirola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decrease the evaporation in my tank because the condemnation is getting a bit out of hand. Show me what you have done, to get some ideas. I have a 180 gal standard tank.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put lids on my sump tanks to limit evaporation. I used PVC sheeting to cut the tops to fit my sumps. Due to the high level of surface agitation in the sumps and the skimmer discharge there is a large amount evaporation that takes place. The lids are always dripping with condensation but it is more or less contained in the sump so that evaporation just drips back into the sump. I keep my tanks open top with screen mesh lids which is my major source of evaporation but having the sump covers really helps reduce the overall evaporation. Have you measured your humidity levels in the room your tank is?

20180116_125249.jpg

OP
OP
Gabriel Guirola

Gabriel Guirola

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put lids on my sump tanks to limit evaporation. I used PVC sheeting to cut the tops to fit my sumps. Due to the high level of surface agitation in the sumps and the skimmer discharge there is a large amount evaporation that takes place. The lids are always dripping with condensation but it is more or less contained in the sump so that evaporation just drips back into the sump. I keep my tanks open top with screen mesh lids which is my major source of evaporation but having the sump covers really helps reduce the overall evaporation. Have you measured your humidity levels in the room your tank is?

20180116_125249.jpg

That looks really cool. I thought most of the evaporation came from the DT because it was open and not under a stand? Yes, the humidity in that area is about 81%.

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dehumidifier = Problem Solved (and it will also help your comfort level in AC season!)

Several different ways to utilize one though. You can have a stand alone model that you empty the integrated reservoir “bucket” when full. Some stand alone models have drain connection options so you don’t have to worry with dumping the bucket when it gets full, and some even have built in pumps for draining. The drawback is having machine sitting somewhere in the living area taking up floor space and the noise generated. Most of the newer models aren’t that loud but the noise is noticeable. You could also have a dehumidifier added to your homes HVAC system, while more costly to install it keeps the machine out of sight and easier to “dry-out” the entire living area.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks really cool. I thought most of the evaporation came from the DT because it was open and not under a stand? Yes, the humidity in that area is about 81%.

A lot of evaporation can come from the DT but a sump can contribute just as much sometimes more depending on the level of surface agitation. If a skimmer is discharging bubbles it will release a lot of moisture and salt into the air. The tops will contain that. Humidity levels over 80% are an ideal environment for mold to grow so intervention is needed. I would agree with @ADAM that a dehumidifier would be a good idea to put in place. Another option is ventilation with an exhaust fan but I think a better first step would be a dehumidifier. As your humidity levels decrease in the room the level of evaporation can potentially increase in your tank as the air will be less saturated. Tops on the sump might also help in conjunction with a dehumidifier. I would take some additional measurements with humidity around your home to determine how widespread your issue is. If you have high humidity throughout your home it might take some time to reduce levels as every object in your home such as carpet, furniture, and wood all absorb moisture like a sponge. When the sponge gets full you will start to see humidity increase to the point where its over 80% where mold can start to grow.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180116_125249.jpg
that's very clever, where'd u buy the PVC sheet from? need to do this to my sump as well. thx

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use standard glass lids on my 180. I get about 1g evap in my uncovered sump per day. I was thinking covering about half my sump once I build an ats

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20180116_125249.jpg

Really nice. For someone new in this hobby, I have been really surprised at the amount of evaporation that does happen in a system on a daily basis. Really happy i decided to go with a ATO... what hassle it would have been without one.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back