Show off your Achilles Tangs

cowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will definitely be giving this a try in the near future. Any suggestions on a good vendor that would have both, I was looking at zoa colector bUT they only list the Achilles.

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the fish eating ? Any injury or aggression issue ?

He was copper intolerant so he had stopped eating while I was treating copper although he had only not been eating for 3 days. I have had a very lengthy discussion with @Humblefish and @4FordFamily and we still do not know why he died.

ERIC1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for losing such a beautiful fish. I was just reading your thread and I thought I saw ich in one of your first photos. Achille tang is notoriously known as an "ich magnet" that combined with the extreme sensitivity and weak immune system make a recipe for disaster.
I'm assuming you were treating it with copper due to ich infection? If you were a good copper test and twice daily testing is a must to maintain proper concentration as a slight overdose will kill the fish.
I'm running a hypo salinity QT right now with my 3 Achiiles going on 2 weeks. I planned to run it for 4 weeks and follow that with Cupramine and Prazipro treatment . Total QT treatment time would be around 10-12 weeks.

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for losing such a beautiful fish. I was just reading your thread and I thought I saw ich in one of your first photos. Achille tang is notoriously known as an "ich magnet" that combined with the extreme sensitivity and weak immune system make a recipe for disaster.
I'm assuming you were treating it with copper due to ich infection? If you were a good copper test and twice daily testing is a must to maintain proper concentration as a slight overdose will kill the fish.
I'm running a hypo salinity QT right now with my 3 Achiiles going on 2 weeks. I planned to run it for 4 weeks and follow that with Cupramine and Prazipro treatment . Total QT treatment time would be around 10-12 weeks.

Yeah he was in the 75 qt with my other fish for a fallow period and treatment.
I had been testing the copper and had been keeping it at .5

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Calvin Bosarge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I also lost my Achilles .... Very hard fish to keep alive from my experience .... He was eating great all the way up to his death too.... I couldn't beat the Ich from him .... None of my other fish have any trouble with it though .

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I also lost my Achilles .... Very hard fish to keep alive from my experience .... He was eating great all the way up to his death too.... I couldn't beat the Ich from him .... None of my other fish have any trouble with it though .
Acanthurus tangs really struggle..

haninja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles.jpg

haninja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks very pale! That is not good! Mine started turning this color before he died!
Na, they do that when they are angry....and only momentarily. I only saw him do that once and he lived many years after... I lost him eventually when my whole tank crashed...

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Na, they do that when they are angry....and only momentarily. I only saw him do that once and he lived many years after... I lost him eventually when my whole tank crashed...

Okay:D So you know longer own this one?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9635_zpsy9c9czc5.jpg

IMG_9595_zpsaeqizaag.jpg

Had my Achilles for about 2 1/2 years. He's among the least welcoming of all my fish to newcomers (recently put a chevron through the ringer), but definately not the boss. BTW, he also shows ich periodically; has done since he came out of QT.

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9635_zpsy9c9czc5.jpg

IMG_9595_zpsaeqizaag.jpg

Had my Achilles for about 2 1/2 years. He's among the least welcoming of all my fish to newcomers (recently put a chevron through the ringer), but definately not the boss. BTW, he also shows ich periodically; has done since he came out of QT.

He looks great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back