Show off your Leptoseris (Lepto coral)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year and a half later from my last post for the jaco. Also another lepto that grew from a pinhead to what you see now. I thought it was dead but left it in. All that was left was a dot of orange.
20211231_145734.jpg
20211231_145624.jpg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Molten Lava' Leptoseris (under low light):

12g Molten Lava Leptoseris_072416.jpg

Same coral, high light (steel blue/aquamarine 'eyes' up top):

12g Top Down_011219 closeup.jpg

Turned into an unstoppable force of nature under higher lighting (~170 PAR) that nothing could withstand (except Mushies). Here it's pushing zoas out into left field and overrunning a Pavona maldivensis like it wasn't even there! I had to exterminate it to save my smaller system from being completely overrun.

'Fallen Horizons' Leptoseris:

Fallen Horizons Leptoseris Nearly Healed_102322.jpg

One of the few reddish Leptos. Slower growing and relative well behaved in my system.

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread bump. This is my JOL I got from Living Reef Orlando during their recent flash sale. I’ve had it under about 130 par since I got it last Friday. The light recommendations for this coral are all over the map online. Trying to decide if I should move it to an area on the side of the tank that gets about 60-80 par. I see so much conflicting info about par for this coral.

A8A72282-D4BA-4ED1-AEBC-623F916E83C3.jpeg
Hello just curious how your lepto is doing? I recently bought a frag and totally agree with you about lighting requirements being all over the place. I was hoping mine would be happy at around 150’ish par filling in a spot between two corals on the top of my rock structure.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello just curious how your lepto is doing? I recently bought a frag and totally agree with you about lighting requirements being all over the place. I was hoping mine would be happy at around 150’ish par filling in a spot between two corals on the top of my rock structure.
Mine sits mostly shaded by a monitpora above it and still does just fine. I doubt it’s getting more than 75-100 par where it is. Parts of it probably aren’t getting more than 30 par.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe some hope for it. I fragged this at the beginning of September and just stuck it on an old skeleton and forgot about it. It’s under stupid high light for a lepto (~250par) right at the top of tank.
IMG_2816.jpeg

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_MG_2438.JPG

The blue one has encrusted pretty high up the kenya tree before. It makes it real easy to frag and doesn't seem to damage the coral not that I overly care as I have tons of it.

They are both in relatively low light areas but not crazy low light.
ACI freeze factor leptoseris. Very fast grower even with low light.
38EA0A16-7DD4-44E9-9AB5-CBD99FB60E56.jpeg
Those are more likely Pavona varians, not Leptoseris. Leptoseris doesn't grow flat like that.

NE reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Here’s my current placement. It’s on the top but not directly under the light . I’m running a 21 day acclimation cycle. If it starts looking stressed I’ll move it lower AEDCA5EF-4AEF-46A5-922D-99613D0D454B.jpeg

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How aggresive are these guys? I have a huge chuck of Jack O lantern that I won on ebay! For now its propped on a vertical ledge on my main rock since I havent decided where to put it! It is easy to pull pieces off if it starts to overgrow the rock? Its perfect the way it is but I know its going to start growing pretty soon as I havnt had it long! IIts about 4 inches wide and fits great in a vertical area thats hard to fill!

jamielynnfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread bump. This is my JOL I got from Living Reef Orlando during their recent flash sale. I’ve had it under about 130 par since I got it last Friday. The light recommendations for this coral are all over the map online. Trying to decide if I should move it to an area on the side of the tank that gets about 60-80 par. I see so much conflicting info about par for this coral.

A8A72282-D4BA-4ED1-AEBC-623F916E83C3.jpeg
Wow I LOVE THIS ONE!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back