!*!*!*!*! SHOW OFF YOUR MANGROVE !*!*!*!*!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Diesel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Really!! Okay great to know! Is there a certain type of led fixture you buy for these types of tanks? I'm just asking because my main tank is ran on radions and T5s but I also have a 60 rimless plumbed up for a refugium and want it to look like some of these pictures!! Any special lighting unit?
 
Really!! Okay great to know! Is there a certain type of led fixture you buy for these types of tanks? I'm just asking because my main tank is ran on radions and T5s but I also have a 60 rimless plumbed up for a refugium and want it to look like some of these pictures!! Any special lighting unit?

My lights are from nanobox. The one is a hybrid 24" 2bulb t5 with 4 LED pucks over the main part of the tank and the mangrove light is a "duo" model with the flare "planted" spectrum. (I keep 6500k t5bulbs in the hybrid fixture)

I believe kessil makes an Amazon Sun model which is supposed to be pretty decent as well.
 
My lights are from nanobox. The one is a hybrid 24" 2bulb t5 with 4 LED pucks over the main part of the tank and the mangrove light is a "duo" model with the flare "planted" spectrum. (I keep 6500k t5bulbs in the hybrid fixture)

Okay thanks!!! Looks unbelievable !!!! I love it!
 
I just started these maybe a week or two ago.. I have one already opening that was curled, and I'm hoping the last will follow, but it has a ways to go.. It's in my tub/stock tank also growing my cheato and a sort of lagoon for new fish..
20161217_165841.jpg
 
Tried growing 6 pods floated in styrofoam in salt water, all turned really hard, did not root, maybe i had bad pods. Think ill try again with Mud and in fresh water. where is the best source for Pods?
 
Tried growing 6 pods floated in styrofoam in salt water, all turned really hard, did not root, maybe i had bad pods. Think ill try again with Mud and in fresh water. where is the best source for Pods?

A lot of people are able to get mangroves to survive by throwing them in a sump with a cheap light, but mangroves will greatly benefit from being planted in some type of nutrient rich substrate, like mud. Good light and substrate = thrive, not survive.

Reef Cleaners is a good source - https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/5-red-mangroves . There are also various sellers on ebay.
 
A lot of people are able to get mangroves to survive by throwing them in a sump with a cheap light, but mangroves will greatly benefit from being planted in some type of nutrient rich substrate, like mud. Good light and substrate = thrive, not survive.
Couldn't agree more with this.
 
I will work on some pics later...

I have three red mangroves I collected as propogules in the fall that are in my sump. They are throwing out roots like crazy just floating under a 73w led grow light.

I hope to have a shallow tank to keep them in like the ones shown some day, or I will put them in Matthews 40B if I don't come up with another solution.
 
Nice job folks!
 
Hi everyone. Nice mangroves on this forum. I also have been growing some red mangroves and six angled orange mangroves as houseplants. I live in Socal and have only grown them using natural full sunlight. Not as pretty as the rest of the mangroves I have seen on here, but I thought it was worth sharing.

vlcsnap-2017-05-16-11h47m54s947.png
 
I've had these growing for 2+ years. The root size is amazing! They aren't perfect, the light isn't ideal. I'm always amazed how they grew through my giant rock. I will say, don't ever cut a root. I broke one off and it's never been the same. I'll need to raise the lights soon, as I want more height. I've got a small cluster on the left that are starting to take off. I attached the propagules to a bamboo stick to hold them in place until the roots take off.

6176708368_IMG_1557_zps9bc6hirj.jpg


Video showing some of the roots on the right cluster.

 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 12.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new