OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Question, are these shrimp anything like the pistol shrimp. And if so are you folks not worried about glass breaking or acrylic cracking. What type of measure for safety do you folks take to safeguard from a busted tank.?
Beautiful shrimp pictures by the way guys. keep them coming.
The idea that a mantis shrimp can break a tank is pretty much an urban legend/hobby myth. There have been no firsthand reports of any mantis shrimp breaking a tank. It's always a person who heard about someone who knew someone...

Joe Rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, are these shrimp anything like the pistol shrimp. And if so are you folks not worried about glass breaking or acrylic cracking. What type of measure for safety do you folks take to safeguard from a busted tank.?
Beautiful shrimp pictures by the way guys. keep them coming.

There is debate about this. You can find a few posts claiming online that they have broken aquarium glass. You can also find videos of larger mantis hitting solid glass and not doing damage. A big worry is that they will strike the bottom glass panel when attempting to burrow. That’s why I chose to line my bottom panel with acrylic. I want to hear the mantis man’s opinion though! After research it seems like the general opinion is that they will not break glass unless it is a very large mantis in an aquarium with thin glass.

MauiMarineAquarium (MMA)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I just YouTubed a video on mantis shrimp. What I gathered from this video is mantis shrimp accelerate their claws at the speed of a 22 caliber bullet. It does not punch with the force of a 22 caliber bullet. They punch so fast that a small bubble forms creating a small bubble, of voided space, this bubble collapses and disappear with in a fraction on a second.
Joe Rogers smart idea adding a acrylic sheet at the bottom of tank just Incase.

jcmental

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just found one on some live rock I bought on Friday, I left it in the tank for now because it was only 3/4" long. How big can they get before becoming a danger to your livestock?
I may set up a 90lt tank for it not sure yet.

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the best photo I've ever taken haha
20171024_193711.jpg

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to check out radiolab.org they have a podcast episode about the Mantis and it’s vision called Ripping the rainbow.

I will definitely check that out. Thank you very much.

They actually just published a revised version last week. I would highly recommend listening to it for anyone curious about what a Mantis shrimp "sees". The sad news are that we may have grossly overestimated their abilities. Mantis Shrimp appear to be very bad at identifying colors as we see them. But they also mentioned a paper coming out that might prove the Mantis Shrimp's ability to communicate using forms of light that are not visible to most animals. Super interesting stuff!!

I did not know that. I will definitely be looking for it. Thank you for the heads up. :)

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first video made me want to get another one! Love watching them hunt!

I had that mantis for 3 years and lost if just before my move. I have dedicated a tank in my new system just for mantis and I am thinking I want to get another spear as they have some very interesting behaviors to observe.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color or pattern does everyone think is the coolest?

Gonodactylus smithii is my favorite color pattern. I had one for a few years in the early 2000s. This little guy would put on this display as a warning and it was a really cool color pattern that would display. Terrible picture but back then digital cameras were still not very good.

DSCN0587.JPG

Bubbabobobbrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this guy in my zoa grow out tank several years ago. He was super chill and would eat krill right out of my hand.

Attachments

• 773CB44E-E7DF-4352-ACEF-501F85EC2047.png
    773CB44E-E7DF-4352-ACEF-501F85EC2047.png
    892.1 KB · Views: 22
  • F4FBE91D-9661-4C49-8E1F-BBF62D229720.png
    F4FBE91D-9661-4C49-8E1F-BBF62D229720.png
    795.9 KB · Views: 28

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 73.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back