Show off your tilefish!

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got total of 5 and all arrived alive. One got freaked out and hit something, its abdomen fin was torn off and bleeding everywhere and he passed a week later. Two weren’t eating then passed away. Now, I got a pair left, so far they’re eating and appeared to be healthy. I found that they’re very difficult to keep. They’re in my 120g matured tank with fine sand bed and lots of places to hide.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got total of 5 and all arrived alive. One got freaked out and hit something, its abdomen fin was torn off and bleeding everywhere and he passed a week later. Two weren’t eating then passed away. Now, I got a pair left, so far they’re eating and appeared to be healthy. I found that they’re very difficult to keep. They’re in my 120g matured tank with fine sand bed and lots of places to hide.
Are they flashing tilefish?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic please!

my experiment of mixing 4 different tiles in a 5’ long 75gallon failed. Lost the purple and flashing. Glad that I was able to save the Skunk and the Oreni. Knock on wood!!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic please!

my experiment of mixing 4 different tiles in a 5’ long 75gallon failed. Lost the purple and flashing. Glad that I was able to save the Skunk and the Oreni. Knock on wood!!
Flashing tiles are generally difficult altogether so I wouldn’t kick yourself over that. I mean, it’s taken mine a week to actually settle in and even then he still isn’t 100% settled.

Purples are 50/50, I’ve had some that are difficult and some that are easy. It really is just luck with these guys IME.

Great to hear you could save the other two :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to show how smart fish are:
I thought he only had one cave however he’s managed to find a cave that’s big enough for him to swim around in and even managed to make it join with another cave on the right. Although he seems to mainly use the cave on the left as you can see.
01B20F5A-DB7A-43E3-A8DD-665773238D45.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he also came right out for feeding today! Previous to this video he came all the way up where you could see his entire body but in this video he didn’t really do that.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of mine. Got him a long time ago and had him for 3 years before I moved and shut down the tank. He was a very assertive and aggressive fish, but super fun and personable as a pet.

Attachments

• E8ED06DE-52CB-4036-9A6B-E02CE6776EDA.jpeg
    E8ED06DE-52CB-4036-9A6B-E02CE6776EDA.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of mine. Got him a long time ago and had him for 3 years before I moved and shut down the tank. He was a very assertive and aggressive fish, but super fun and personable as a pet.
Hoplolatilus luteus is among my favourite yellow fish, yours was a gorgeous specimen.

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoplolatilus luteus is among my favourite yellow fish, yours was a gorgeous specimen.
I definitely miss him. He was huge when I had to sell him and shut down the tank. Maybe 5” long. My wife called him Wilbur the Whale. He was a really beautiful golden color that a picture doesn’t capture nearly as well as in person.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely miss him. He was huge when I had to sell him and shut down the tank. Maybe 5” long. My wife called him Wilbur the Whale. He was a really beautiful golden color that a picture doesn’t capture nearly as well as in person.
That really does sound like a beautiful fish, if I could add another Tile to my tank I’d love either a Luteus because of that golden colour or a Marcosi for that red ‘sports’ stripe.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for my ignorance but is this a flashing tilefish?
844BC765-BA30-42C1-81D0-ACBE1F8DD3FD.png
definitely a blue gudgeon however I think that dart fish are a perfect way to have a small Tilefish though :)

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did a thing today, or more accurately 2 things... figured I'd give tiles another try since they're gonna go in the 180 gallon after quarantine. Hoplolatilus randalli and Hoplolatilus marcosi! Both have been at the store about a month and eating like champs! They were schooling with a group of zebra darts as well, so grabbed 3 of those to keep them company in quarantine and act as dithers. The same store I grabbed them from also has a 7" Randall's tile, absolutely amazing looking, but couldn't bring myself to spend that much when I got the nice looking juvenile for half the price.

20230520_152210.jpg
20230520_152233.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back