Show your ATO container.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does your top of water enter the system? If my ATO reservoir was that tall it would siphon (my top off water enters in the return chamber of the sump.

YodaHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does your top of water enter the system? If my ATO reservoir was that tall it would siphon (my top off water enters in the return chamber of the sump.
I had the same problem at first. Kind of hard to explain how I fixed it. The output has to be above the ato container. I used a larger tube tied to my return plumbing that goes from the sump water to a level above the ato container. The ato tube just sits in that bigger tube to direct the water into the sump and keep it open to air so it doesn't start a siphon. Like I said kinda hard to explain. I can try to get a photo when I get back home from vacation.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem at first. Kind of hard to explain how I fixed it. The output has to be above the ato container. I used a larger tube tied to my return plumbing that goes from the sump water to a level above the ato container. The ato tube just sits in that bigger tube to direct the water into the sump and keep it open to air so it doesn't start a siphon. Like I said kinda hard to explain. I can try to get a photo when I get back home from vacation.

No that's a great explanation and a great solution! That solution might allow me to get a slightly higher volume reservoir. My current 16 gallon won't quite last an 8-9 day vacation during the winter when humidity is lower. Thanks!

GrndHog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure

Here's the full 120 setup
DSC07319_zps2d4c6c09.jpg

Electical cabinet on the left

Sump in the center. I've taken out the LED light on the left to clean it up a little more
DSC07391_zps17f57022.jpg

Plumbing manifold off of the return pump
DSC07396_zpsf2064f56.jpg

Liquid cabinet on the right. Dosing setup, skimmate container, ATO setup
DSC07397_zps5d9d17b5.jpg
Where did you get those Alk and Ca containers?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go, upper right side 10 gallon with a feed from my RO/DI and a float valve. I had a couple of over flows on the floor and the float valve was a great fix.
IMG_4230.JPG

rickybrooks05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to petco durning the gallon sell and then to lowes to cut a piece of acrylic for a lid.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This my top off container for my 50 gallon tank.
Picked it up at petsmart. Holds about 16 gallons.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue bucket hanging from my workshop ceiling. My system is gravity fed. The RO/DI fills the bucket, the DIY mercury switch shuts the electric valve stopping the flow to the bucket, it gravity feeds over the ceiling about 30' away to a float switch on the tank. Gravity usually doesn't fail. :rolleyes:

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_2659.JPG
I tried to get one of those snazzy 5g ato reservoirs, but the price didn't justify the production process.
Im sorry, but it's dumb to pay that much on plastic.
$4 bpa free food container from Walmart...
Works. Just. Fine.

I tried to get a custom lid for my tank too, dude wanted $180... LOL!
So I went to lowes and got a piece of scrap acrylic cut for 2 bucks.

This hobby, and some (most) vendors are greedy af.
Spend your money wisely.
I'm not saying don't spend, but there's a bunch of stuff available to us that's cheaper to retrofit and repurpose; so keep your wits about you.

* also, I need to wrap electrical tape around that container to prevent algae

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my go to for all my builds, they come in a wide range of sizes and shapes from different manufacturers (I've always used this brand) and are approved for food storage. Also SOOO much cheaper than purchasing an ato reservoir from manufacturer. You can also get them in taller thinner shapes to fit in areas a 5g bucket would not and hold twice as much water. The wheels are detachable.
Screenshot_2017-01-15-13-17-55.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back