Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir. It's my first nano tank back into the reefing hobby over 2 years ago.

Lighting - 1 Kessil A360W-E TUNA BLUE with Spectral Controller.

I have more updates yesterday in case you may be interested: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/reef-rc-fluval-evo-13g-nano.291996/page-9#post-6228367
Just looked. Wow is all I can say. I would change the light on mine but it's in my bedroom that my wife sprays deodorant in so need the lid plus it helps with evaporation and if I kick off too much I'll have to get rid of it. I think I've got a cyano problem starting in mine now so not happy but I'll try and find the issue then hopefully sort it.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nitrate levels? Do you struggle to maintain them with only one fish?
There are currently 4 fish:
  • 1 Paired of Black Storm and Snow Storm clownfish
  • 1 Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse
  • 1 Yellow Watchman Goby
Nitrate - Yesterday's nitrate is @ 2.5ppm. Does range between 2.5ppm and 5ppm. Bad times can go as high as 5-10ppm if i get lazy.

Fish Feeding - Daily (i like most feed heavier than I should)

Coral Feeding - Weekly. All LPS and occasionally zoas too.

Water Change - Weekly. Twice a week if needed depending on nitrate levels.

I have observed if I change out the filter pad(s) every 2-3 days help with nitrate control. May replace pads more often if I see it dirty during feeding.

hth

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked. Wow is all I can say. I would change the light on mine but it's in my bedroom that my wife sprays deodorant in so need the lid plus it helps with evaporation and if I kick off too much I'll have to get rid of it. I think I've got a cyano problem starting in mine now so not happy but I'll try and find the issue then hopefully sort it.

Thanks again. I can share my light schedule and lighting height if you need. lmk

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some better pics of mine. It’s funny a neighbor gave me this tank (basically for $20) I replaced the light with an Amazon Led ($70) with great reviews, upgraded the pump, and placed a power head which I barely use (15 - 45minutes/day).
After getting Coral frags, fish, and upgrades I was a few hundred in. So much for a cheap tank! Lol I love it though. P.S. you guys have some killer setups. Love learning from you all.

66D8D34A-2D71-4C67-B909-02E5A9F54ABC.jpeg

92CC7928-9F5C-4A5E-B593-2BE382DADF8A.jpeg

specwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2516.JPG
IMG_2517.JPG
Here she is. I'm cycling a 37.5 Tall and will make this a frag tank - everyone will be moving next door.

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2516.JPG
IMG_2517.JPG
Here she is. I'm cycling a 37.5 Tall and will make this a frag tank - everyone will be moving next door.

Very cool. I can’t help but feel like this and other designs makes the tank look substantially bigger than mine with the large arching aquas cape...may have to reconfigure mine.

specwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. I can’t help but feel like this and other designs makes the tank look substantially bigger than mine with the large arching aquas cape...may have to reconfigure mine.
In lieu of a power head I use a Random Flow Generator Nozzle from VCA on an upgraded Eheim pump. I like your design. I'm going to add some Reef Bar LED's for good coral propagation lighting.

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like way too much for 13 gallons. You’re kidding right? 200 times the turnover of your display tank?

I bought what I thought was a nano pump for 550-1000 gph. On the lowest setting it peels zoanthids off of their plugs and causes other coral to shut

It ended up in practice to be 40-100x based on where I put things.

The Koralia’s numbers are way overrated. They don’t push nearly as much water as they say they do. The one on the controller I had it set to random 15-30%. I had a lot of sps and I also had the power heads shooting across the top rather than at any coral. It created high, mid, and low flow zones that I was able to position the different corals base on thier needs.

If I could do it differently I’d probably go for 2-3 Koralia‘s on controller or 2 tunze nano’s on controller because they can dial way down for night time flow patterns.

specwar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ended up in practice to be 40-100x based on where I put things.

The Koralia’s numbers are way overrated. They don’t push nearly as much water as they say they do. The one on the controller I had it set to random 15-30%. I had a lot of sps and I also had the power heads shooting across the top rather than at any coral. It created high, mid, and low flow zones that I was able to position the different corals base on thier needs.

If I could do it differently I’d probably go for 2-3 Koralia‘s on controller or 2 tunze nano’s on controller because they can dial way down for night time flow patterns.
I agree on the Koralia's numbers being overrated. The Random Flow Generator nozzle really works well with an upgraded pump.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine all stock. I would love to add a blue led strip into the standard lid for a bit of extra pop on my nems, any recommendations of which ones? I only have 2 clowns 2 red bta 1 green and a rescue bubble coral.
Screenshot_20190724-215853_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190724-215859_Gallery.jpg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK question for all you Evo 13.5 lovers out there.

I am playing with the idea of getting this tank for a couch side project and RFA, sexy shrimp , pom pom crab tank.

Q:
1. If I upgrade the pump to a sicce 1.0 and get the VCA random flow generator will that be enough flow through out the tank?

2. i kinda like the lid and lighting for this little guy as I dont want lots of light spill. will stock lighting grow RFA, shrooms, softies and other low to med lights corals? or is lighting upgrade a must?

3. evo 13.5 VS IM 14 there pretty much the same size of tank. any thoughts on what is better" and why?

4. other than maybe an intank media basket any other mods are a must?

cheers,
D

HiBRiD109

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK question for all you Evo 13.5 lovers out there.

I am playing with the idea of getting this tank for a couch side project and RFA, sexy shrimp , pom pom crab tank.

Q:
1. If I upgrade the pump to a sicce 1.0 and get the VCA random flow generator will that be enough flow through out the tank?

2. i kinda like the lid and lighting for this little guy as I dont want lots of light spill. will stock lighting grow RFA, shrooms, softies and other low to med lights corals? or is lighting upgrade a must?

3. evo 13.5 VS IM 14 there pretty much the same size of tank. any thoughts on what is better" and why?

4. other than maybe an intank media basket any other mods are a must?

cheers,
D

I've only been in the saltwater side for about 6 months with my Evo. So everything I know is what I got from forums and a short time of experience.

1. I stuck with the Sicce 0.5, VCA RFG, and a Jabeo Wavemaker. I think the 1.0 would be efficient for your needs as you can turn the flow down. The reason I did the 0.5 and wavemaker was to get more flow all over the tank with my large rockscape. I didnt want too much flow in the small "channels" the flow goes and dead spots.

2. The lighting is ok, its simple and doesn't make anything look well, I definitetly got good algae growth. If using a timer, there's no ramping and you have to press the touch button for Blue only mode. I tried modding it and got ok results but I pulled the trigger on a Prime HD last week and its a no brainer how much better my tank looks and corals color up and grow.

3. I don't have any experience with the IM 14 but I like my Evo a lot. I got it for 50% off at my LFS for black friday. IMO they are the same tank just different dimensions. I guess it depends on which one offers more aftermarket equipment to suit your needs.

4. You can check my build but the things I added from stock was, Intank Chamber 1 with Intank Floss pads and Chemipure. A bag of Seachem Matrix in chamber 2 that I had left over from my FW tank just to add more surface space for bacteria and etc. It wasn't needed but I felt it was wierd to have nothing there. Then a Cobalt Aquatis 75w Nano heater, Sicce 0.5 pump, and VCA RFG in chamber 3. I have the smallest Jabeo Wavemaker on the lowest setting to get more flow in places that doesnt get any but thats because of my large rockscape. I just upgraded the lighting to the Prime HD made my own screen with a window screen frame kit and bird netting I got from the local hardware store. It cost me $13. Besides a timer for the wavermaker and a power strip with individually switched outlets, that's about all I did.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been in the saltwater side for about 6 months with my Evo. So everything I know is what I got from forums and a short time of experience.

1. I stuck with the Sicce 0.5, VCA RFG, and a Jabeo Wavemaker. I think the 1.0 would be efficient for your needs as you can turn the flow down. The reason I did the 0.5 and wavemaker was to get more flow all over the tank with my large rockscape. I didnt want too much flow in the small "channels" the flow goes and dead spots.

2. The lighting is ok, its simple and doesn't make anything look well, I definitetly got good algae growth. If using a timer, there's no ramping and you have to press the touch button for Blue only mode. I tried modding it and got ok results but I pulled the trigger on a Prime HD last week and its a no brainer how much better my tank looks and corals color up and grow.

3. I don't have any experience with the IM 14 but I like my Evo a lot. I got it for 50% off at my LFS for black friday. IMO they are the same tank just different dimensions. I guess it depends on which one offers more aftermarket equipment to suit your needs.

4. You can check my build but the things I added from stock was, Intank Chamber 1 with Intank Floss pads and Chemipure. A bag of Seachem Matrix in chamber 2 that I had left over from my FW tank just to add more surface space for bacteria and etc. It wasn't needed but I felt it was wierd to have nothing there. Then a Cobalt Aquatis 75w Nano heater, Sicce 0.5 pump, and VCA RFG in chamber 3. I have the smallest Jabeo Wavemaker on the lowest setting to get more flow in places that doesnt get any but thats because of my large rockscape. I just upgraded the lighting to the Prime HD made my own screen with a window screen frame kit and bird netting I got from the local hardware store. It cost me $13. Besides a timer for the wavermaker and a power strip with individually switched outlets, that's about all I did.

thanks for the replay. I am really considering this tank. if I do I will go AI prime or a slit chance current orbit just for the sleek look and less light spill .

I am between 3 tanks. but if I could find a 50% off i so would grab it!

HiBRiD109

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replay. I am really considering this tank. if I do I will go AI prime or a slit chance current orbit just for the sleek look and less light spill .

I am between 3 tanks. but if I could find a 50% off i so would grab it!

Well the thing I notice about the Prime HD is it holds its value so long as it's kept dry/functioning. I see plenty of them going for $175-180. I bought mine for $175 with gooseneck. If you buy new, you could sell if you decide to tear down the tank. I forgot to mention I also got the intank plug for the hole in chamber 2.
Also for light bleed, I just got my light shade today from ludnix off of here. He makes a few 3D printed hardware. I had him modify a few things like the traditional hex vents and 1/2" shorter because I wanted to make sure both ends got coverage but it looks like the original length would have done fine but now I don't get blinded by the light when sitting on my couch as it's it my living room.

Before :
20190726_194710.jpg

After:
20190729_213742_HDR.jpg
20190729_213750_HDR.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back