Showing off my SPS reef- Check out this video!

OP
OP
Mrx

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! But, I actually would like info on the build for the dentrator. Specifics like how you built it, what are the components... the whole shazam,,, with photos. That sounds so impertinent but I think that the system that you have is simply stunning and the denitrator is a specific that I a very interested in duplicating. There are a ton of denitrators out there but seem to be totally different than your set up. And let's be honest, your results are stellar.
Please forgive the late response....been building a new kitchen and I'm finally seeing the light after 5 months without one lol. The denitrator is just a container lined with egg crate and a couple small circulation pumps .... an water input plumbed in from the sump on a small pump that is controlled by my apex to turn it on 3 times a day and flushes the chamber after the cycles. I have an ro line that is plumbed from one of my doser ports that works in sequence with the timing of the beginning of the cycles to feed a 50 50 mix rodi and methonal to feed the bacteria a carbon source.... that's it for the chamber.

OP
OP
Mrx

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry, I had to stop the video when you said "I try to keep everything simple" whaaaaaat??????? How many different filtration methods are you using on this tank my god... there is not ONE thing that's simple about this setup hahaha..... :) ...except no waterchanges...

No but really, it's a beautiful tank when the whites are on. I cant tell a fish from a coral when the blues are on :) I love the carbon source tank brother, does your apex just pull and add to the tank at the same time or does it completley empty, then filling back up all the way with all fresh? If the last, how do you keep your sump one level when the water dumps and fills? Or do you not worry about it? I just use a large rock bin and feed it a steady drip of vodka and vinegar, and remove the large bacteria mats every week. You dont have issues with the bacteria mats loosening up and getting in a pump clouding water? Also what's your carbon source that's so pure?

It's nice to see nice led tanks like this, but man larger tanks sure need a lot of lights. How long have you been in the hobby? Do you have separate qt systems for coral or fish in that room? Sorry for all the questions, but I know they will be asked anyways :)
The top off pump power is just shut off by the apex when the pump for the denitrator kicks on ....carbon source is a 50 50 mix of rodi and VIP racing fuel (99.9% methanol)

OP
OP
Mrx

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
amazing. the piece you zoom into at 1.52 what do you call that?
I believe you are talking about the small piece and ty hat is just something I brought in and have not sold yet. Maybe in a month or 2 It is almost ready.

OP
OP
Mrx

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what glue do you use? I assume you take the corals off the plug. How do you do that?
I just clip them with sps cutters and just try to pop the coral off glue and all if its encrusted I have to just cut it as low to the plug as possible and just trash the rest. Never put plugs or rock into your tank from sps. Dipping will kill the pest but not eggs which will be laid on only rock or plug and not on coral tissue ...dipping doesn't kill eggs ...

OP
OP
Mrx

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy nice set up! (+1 guffaw on Keep it Simple...I wish my set up was as "simple"=amazing).
I may have missed it; no water changes in three years, but how long has the tank been set up?
Also, I'm curious what size some of these SPS frags were on introduction? Standard sticks?
Nice work!
Yes no wc changes in 3 years ...its been running 5 years only 3 with corals ....

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please forgive the late response....been building a new kitchen and I'm finally seeing the light after 5 months without one lol. The denitrator is just a container lined with egg crate and a couple small circulation pumps .... an water input plumbed in from the sump on a small pump that is controlled by my apex to turn it on 3 times a day and flushes the chamber after the cycles. I have an ro line that is plumbed from one of my doser ports that works in sequence with the timing of the beginning of the cycles to feed a 50 50 mix rodi and methonal to feed the bacteria a carbon source.... that's it for the chamber.
So the entire chamber contents are 'flushed' with fresh saltwater or DT water after each cycle? If the chamber is flushed with ro/di/methanol mixture as the flush is occurring, how do you contain the ro/di/methanol mix within the chamber and not have some go to the DT? What size is the denitrator? How much water is 'flushed'? What did you seed your bacteria with? How long and what gal/L capacity is the on cycle, 3 x a day? Is the flush THE actual cycle? It sounds as though it cycles and then flushes. What is your definition of a 'flush'?

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I know home projects, particularly kitchens, are way more important than updating your thread. You gotta show some pics of the kitchen remodel just for kicks. Likely, as nice as your tank...

OP
OP
Mrx

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the entire chamber contents are 'flushed' with fresh saltwater or DT water after each cycle? If the chamber is flushed with ro/di/methanol mixture as the flush is occurring, how do you contain the ro/di/methanol mix within the chamber and not have some go to the DT? What size is the denitrator? How much water is 'flushed'? What did you seed your bacteria with? How long and what gal/L capacity is the on cycle, 3 x a day? Is the flush THE actual cycle? It sounds as though it cycles and then flushes. What is your definition of a 'flush'?

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I know home projects, particularly kitchens, are way more important than updating your thread. You gotta show some pics of the kitchen remodel just for kicks. Likely, as nice as your tank...

Yes the chamber contents are flushed with DT water. Then the pump shuts off and the chamber is fed the RODI Methanol mix and the cycle starts all over again .... The mix doesn't go into the DT when its flushed because the carbon source is used up during the cycle... My denitrator is 30gal. It flushes for 20 min. I seeded my bacteria from a friends setup and have supplied others when they started. The cycle is from when the flush stops to when it starts again. The time is 8 hrs I have set up.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the chamber contents are flushed with DT water. Then the pump shuts off and the chamber is fed the RODI Methanol mix and the cycle starts all over again .... The mix doesn't go into the DT when its flushed because the carbon source is used up during the cycle... My denitrator is 30gal. It flushes for 20 min. I seeded my bacteria from a friends setup and have supplied others when they started. The cycle is from when the flush stops to when it starts again. The time is 8 hrs I have set up.
Perfect! Thank You! Just a few more final questions. Is the flush water from the denitrator returning to the DT or a different section of the sump? What volume of RODI/Methanol is fed with each cycle for that 30-gallon reservoir, AND, how can I get a bottle of that specific bacteria colony sent to me when the time comes (duly compensated, of course)? I wonder if it would make the trip...

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank and corals;Jawdrop;)

OP
OP
Mrx

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Thank You! Just a few more final questions. Is the flush water from the denitrator returning to the DT or a different section of the sump? What volume of RODI/Methanol is fed with each cycle for that 30-gallon reservoir, AND, how can I get a bottle of that specific bacteria colony sent to me when the time comes (duly compensated, of course)? I wonder if it would make the trip...
It pulls from a section of the sump and then when it flushes it dumps right above the water by the skimmer intake pump as the water coming back in from the denitrator can tend to be low in O2 ...my cycle uses 8ml per cycle ...I can send you some bacteria when your ready ... just overnight it ...I have sent it before...

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It pulls from a section of the sump and then when it flushes it dumps right above the water by the skimmer intake pump as the water coming back in from the denitrator can tend to be low in O2 ...my cycle uses 8ml per cycle ...I can send you some bacteria when your ready ... just overnight it ...I have sent it before...
That would be sweet. Thank you. I'll take you up on that. It'll be costly to fed-ex overnight to me but I'm sure it will be worth it. Just re-starting my tank after 13 years out. We are 11 days in so it will be a bit yet. Thank you again.

OP
OP
Mrx

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new 100mm macro and learning to use it....
b047df69a743fa6d89146564e670d924.jpg
f538b9bc1c80c8d32afb122fffaa3b48.jpg
ca277d0272114148b0f86b96cd68842a.jpg

AB_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Matt.. Amazing tank.. ;Woot;Woot;Woot
Any updates on the system and the denitrator ?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back