Shrimp and Crab randomly died?!

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a new coral frag and a mandarin dragonet. I added them to the tank and I had coral dipped my frag. Shortly after the frag looked white and my shrimp and crab have both died. All within about 3 hours of the new fish and frag being added. Did I poison my tank with the coral dip? I did the very same thing last time I added a frag and nothing happened and I know this is common practice. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse the frag a time or two in tank water before putting it in? I've heard of folks forgetting that step . . .

~Bruce
I did rinse it. I let it soak for 5 mins with the Bayer then rinsed it a few times. Then placed it. I however for the life of me; don't remember if I diluted the dip! I'm wondering if I forgot to dilute it in my excitement, cause I'm a total noob. After rinsing; would that be toxic to my tank? I'm doing a large water change now to try and be safe; but I'm wondering if it's too late. I removed the coral frag.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undiluted dip would be rough on all concerned.

Water change is a pretty good go-to in a case like this - unlikely to do harm, and capable of a world of good. Other members of the #reefsquad may be able to offer insight.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Undiluted dip would be rough on all concerned.

Water change is a pretty good go-to in a case like this - unlikely to do harm, and capable of a world of good. Other members of the #reefsquad may be able to offer insight.

~Bruce
h

Rough enough that it would kill my crab and shrimp in a matter of hours? I really don't think I diluted it and it's killing me that I would make that mistake. Is there really any hope if it is the cause if their death? Is it likely that I'll be able to save the anemones and my other fish? The snails and these little copepods seem to be fine.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly - and the anemones are much more likely to be OK than shrimp and crabs. Crustaceans are far more similar (and more closely related) to insects (which are Bayer's on-label "target") than either fish or anemones. Those two groups should be rather less affected by Bayer than crabs or shrimp.

You've diluted it again with the water change. Hang in there - I'm hoping that the worst has passed for you.

~Bruce

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
h

Rough enough that it would kill my crab and shrimp in a matter of hours? I really don't think I diluted it and it's killing me that I would make that mistake. Is there really any hope if it is the cause if their death? Is it likely that I'll be able to save the anemones and my other fish? The snails and these little copepods seem to be fine.

It's possible.I consider myself a expert with the product yet I managed to kill a cleaner shrimp with it.I rinsed my frags before putting them in the tank as well.Those types inverts are sensitive.You should be in the clear now ,just keep a eye on things.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the responses guys! I can't believe I made that mistake. I'm new to the hobby still, but I freaking knew better. I've made plenty of mistakes by now. So my snails seem unaffected and it appeared as though my new dragonnet and the clown fish were feeling ill late last night. Woke up this morning and they seem ok for now. Hopefully they stay that way. My major concern now aside from worrying about my fish and corals getting sick; is the ability to keep my dragonet fed. If that stuff killed my crab and shrimp, it's probably safe to assume that the copepods for the drgonet won't survive as well correct? Should I snag a bottle of copepods again and repopulate the tank? If that's even possible with the dragonet already in the tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that stuff killed my crab and shrimp, it's probably safe to assume that the copepods for the drgonet won't survive as well correct? Should I snag a bottle of copepods again and repopulate the tank? If that's even possible with the dragonet already in the tank.

Do you have a fuge or some chaeto in the sump where you could dump them to reseed?

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a fuge or some chaeto in the sump where you could dump them to reseed?
I have a sump with some live rock; but no chaeto. This morning there were some copepods on the front of the tank still moving around and all. So I would assume that I was able to get it under control with that water change maybe? I was thinking about buying some more copepods and throwing them in the tank, but they would either have to go straight into the display or into the sump with the live rock. This morning the fish still had good color and were swimming around normally. I'm considering taking the fish out of the display and setting up my hospital tank, but I don't know how long it would take to get all that contamination out of the display. Any tips on that or the rest of the above questions? Still freaking out and kicking myself.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaron Davis Has anyone mentioned running carbon yet? That would probably be the quickest way to get any leftover coral dip out of your water.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaron Davis Has anyone mentioned running carbon yet? That would probably be the quickest way to get any leftover coral dip out of your water.
Well, I unfortunately don't have a carbon reactor or whatever they're called. Couldn't quite afford it yet with all the other equipment. Would placing a carbon filter at the pump intake work the same? Or maybe in the overflow? Or maybe a like a box of that Fluval Carbon bags?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I unfortunately don't have a carbon reactor or whatever they're called. Couldn't quite afford it yet with all the other equipment. Would placing a carbon filter at the pump intake work the same? Or maybe in the overflow? Or maybe a like a box of that Fluval Carbon bags?

If you put carbon in a media bag, and place it in your sump in such a way that water is forced to go through it that should help. Just make sure the water is not finding a way around it. Not as effective as using a media reactor, but it's better than nothing until you get one.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put carbon in a media bag, and place it in your sump in such a way that water is forced to go through it that should help. Just make sure the water is not finding a way around it. Not as effective as using a media reactor, but it's better than nothing until you get one.
I appreciate all the input from everyone. All things considered; the fish are swimming around fine and appear alright. At least for now. I would assume that the sand and live rock would absorb some of that pesticide and leak it out into the water similar to what it would do with copper treatments. I was thinking that I would place enough carbon bags into my overflow to completely fill the box, thus forcing the water through those bags. Do you think that would effectively absorb the majority of the pesticide? Short of getting rid of all the sand and rock; will there always be traces of it now?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that I would place enough carbon bags into my overflow to completely fill the box, thus forcing the water through those bags. Do you think that would effectively absorb the majority of the pesticide? Short of getting rid of all the sand and rock; will there always be traces of it now?

That should help. I would rinse the carbon bags out periodically using tap water and then soak them in some RODI before reusing. In time, any remaining chemicals found in the water from the coral dip should either dissipate or become too diluted to be harmful.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back